IRS Tax Lien Removal Statute of Limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcirslien

I had a tax lien levied against me in 1986 and it was updated in 1994 and shows up on my credit report. There has been no attempt to collect this lien in more than 10 years. How can I have it removed from my credit report and is there not a statute of limitations of 10 years appicable? Please help!!!

dcirslien

dcirslien said:
I had a tax lien levied against me in 1986 and it was updated in 1994 and shows up on my credit report. There has been no attempt to collect this lien in more than 10 years. How can I have it removed from my credit report and is there not a statute of limitations of 10 years appicable? Please help!!!

Concerning the tax lien afore mentioned...after further investigation I found out that the tax lien was actually dated 4/98 and there was a correction of some kind recorded in 1994. I spoke with a local IRS representative (after being on hold for 27 minutes) who informed me that I should go to my local courthouse in the county that the lien was filed and view the lien myself to determine if there had been a release filed since 10 years had elapsed. (statute of limitations) When I viewed the lien itself I noticed that it stated that if it was not updated by the date given in section (e) the lien itself served as an official release form. This means that the IRS has no obligation or right to pursue collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back