IRS and CA: Back Taxes from 1992 and 1993

Status
Not open for further replies.

justice4all09

In 1992 and 1993, I and my family were living in CA, where I had begun a new job after having moved from my home state of NC. It was a traumatic move and I with a nursing baby became pregnant again at 43 and decided move forward with the pregnancy despite the stress.

With the upheaval and stress... I failed to file my income taxes for 1992 and again for 1993. Huge first for me, I'd always been responsible in that area.

Anyway... in 1994 just before I left my 25 year career forever to raise my children, the IRS sent me a big bill. They had filed me as a single person.

At that time, I was supporting a family of six. My husband was a stay at home Dad then and we had 3 children in 1992 and 4 in 1993.

We then moved to WA state, in a very remote property where we lived in extreme poverty for six years. In 2000, husband was finally able to get a good job, we move to the city, thing began looking up...filed income taxes and the IRS debt we had forgotten about came back to find us.

Since it was mine, my husband has been able to file injured spouse and get his refund back each year. But... in 2003, we filed a Chapter 13 bankrupcy and went to a CPA to deal with the IRS debt. and the taxes the state of CA was still holding me accountable for as well.

Important note... during all those years, the IRS nor the state of CA ever attempted to collect any monies from me.

I handed over to the CPA all documents I still had which included my old W2's and moving expenses, letters to move my family from NC to CA from the companies I went to work for. He and the bankrupcy attorney told us that since the debt was 10 years old, the IRS would forgive the debt.

We thought we had to file a late return. But the CPA told us he'd gone to the local IRS, gathered information and ...all we knew was it was taken care of.

Taken care of meant it was included in the Chapter 13 bankrupcy and being garnished from my husbands wages.

Two years pass and my husband changes jobs in 2005, fails to renew the Chapter 13 bankrupcy and eventually we are discharged. Now we understand upon filing income taxes the next year...we are back where we started with having to file injured spouse and getting his refund back.

By the way...we have ALWAYS gotten the FULL refund. They do not withhold my half.

I have been unemployed since May, 1994...and have been permanently disabled since 1999 and now 59 years old.

In the summer of 2007, I hired a tax attorney here in Spokane, WA, paid $1,500 to get my IRS information, file my back returns for 1992 and 1993. After I paid my money... he pretty much disappeared.

We had previously recontact the CPA from the 2003 filing of the Chapter 13 and that office could not find any file where I had brought all my documents in to them. They lost them.

I then tried to contact the three different companies I worked for in 1992 and 1993 and only ONE was able to send me an accounting similar to a W2... but not a W2. They all said they do not keep records back that far.

Frustrated I contacted the tax attorney and he had told me both in his office when I hired him and in the phone call, he would be able to reconstruct tax returns for me based on the information he got from the IRS info and my word. He never did and I rarely could get him on the phone... He just simply never returned my calls. I gave up ... again.

So... here in 2008... we filed a Chapter 7 bankrupcy... Husband went back to the job he began in 2000... but the company is floundering. Its a longterm, well established company and my husband is one of the top men in concrete construction products. Anyway... they laid off bit by bit... all the men except two... and just laid off those two, which included my husband.

In doing the Chapter 7, we talked to the attorney about the tax debt, the tax attorney ect and that we had never gotten from him anything, not even a letter as to the standing of what work he had done for me. So they asked him for a letter.

His letter stated... that the work was done and over, it cost the full $1,500 and that work consisted of simply getting the information from the IRS. And he's never sent that to us yet.

Now.. as of a few days ago... I have gotten a bill from the IRS for $20,000... and $11,000 plus is interest charges.

We are now 15-16 years later and still dealing with this problem. TRUE... we have not been aggressive about it, but I feel extremely ignorant about HOW to deal with it and the few people I have tried to get help from have failed us.

When we filed income taxes last year, we talked to Jackson-Hewitt.. our tax preparer about filing for us for 1992 and 1993... and they wanted me to get tax forms for those years from the IRS. There were no forms for those years there.

It is all extremely confusing. Going to the IRS people and talking to them is extremely confusing. The tax attorney just took my money and ran it seems like, the CPS lost my original documents and the tax preparer isn't a lot of help.

If I had filed as I should have in 1992 and 1993...I would have gotten a REFUND. I was the ONLY wage earner for those years for a family of 5 in 1992 and 6 in 1993.

Now I am stuck with this huge bill and do not know where to go to get rid of it. Its a massive burden over my head. As I said... I am disabled and the many medications I have to take for my heart and spine, inabilty to even walk well... have its affect now.

I need to know... how to get rid of this debt with the IRS.

Thanks for even reading that long post... All help greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back