Iowa teenager sentenced to life in prison for killing Spanish teacher for giving him a bad grade

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
Iowa
The first of two Iowa teenagers who pleaded guilty 2 Iowa teens plead guilty to murder in Spanish teacher's beating death to beating their high school Spanish teacher to death with a baseball bat Iowa teens used baseball bat to kill their high school Spanish teacher, court documents reveal was sentenced Thursday to life with a possibility of parole after 35 years in prison.

A judge sentenced Willard Miller after a sentencing hearing that lasted more than seven hours.

Miller and another teen, Jeremy Goodale, had pleaded guilty in April to the 2021 attack on Nohema Graber. The 66-year-old teacher was fatally beaten while taking her regular afternoon walk in a park in Fairfield.

"I will not gloss over the fact that you and Mr. Goodall cut Nohema Graber's precious life short," Judge Shawn Showers said as he sentenced Miller.

As part of the plea agreement, prosecutors had recommended Miller receive a term of between 30 years and life in prison, with the possibility of parole. Goodale is to be sentenced later.

ap23186768867599.jpg
Willard Miller is led into a courtroom on March 29, 2023, in Fairfield, Iowa.
KYLE OCKER / AP

Before being sentenced, Miller said in court Thursday that he accepted responsibility for the killing and apologized to the Graber family.

"I would like to apologize for my actions, first and foremost to the family," he said. "I am sincerely sorry for the distress I have caused you and the devastation I have caused your family."

Miller and Goodale killed Graber on Nov. 2, 2021, in a park where the teacher routinely walked after school. Prosecutors said the teens, who were 16 at the time, were angry at Graber because of a bad grade she had given Miller.

Nohema Graber murder: Willard Miller, Jeremy Goodale killed Spanish teacher over bad grade, Iowa prosecutor says - CBS News

Under Goodale's agreement to plead guilty, prosecutors had recommended a sentence of between 25 years and life with the possibility of parole. Goodale's sentencing is scheduled for August, but his lawyers have sought a delay in the hearing.

Thursday's sentencing hearing at the Jefferson County Courthouse in Fairfield initially focused on investigators who described how officers found Graber's body. They also talked about social media postings that led them to question and then arrest Miller and Goodale. Prosecutors also played recordings of police interviews with both teens and displayed photographs of the crime scene, including graphic images of Graber's body.

nohema-graber-smallpic.jpg
Nohema Graber
Fairfield HS Teacher

Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation agent Trent Vileta recalled police finding Graber's body under a tarp in Chautauqua Park. A wheelbarrow and railroad tie had been placed over the tarp, making it hard to see the body, with only a shoe and a hand visible.

After pulling back part of the tarp, Vileta said the only significant injury to Graber appeared to be a severe head wound.

In the interview, Miller initially said he knew nothing about Graber's disappearance but later said he saw other people carrying her body in the park.

Miller eventually told authorities he had been in the park at the time of the murder, provided "materials utilized in committing the murder" and helped conceal the crime, court documents said. He did not admit to killing Graber at the time.

Investigators were also given social media messages between Miller and Goodal in which the two discussed specific details of the crime.

"The details included, but were not limited to, the motive for killing Graber, the planning and execution of the means to kill Graber, as well as deliberate attempts to conceal the crime," court documents said.

Goodale testified Teenager to testify against co-defendant in beating death of Iowa high school teacher, prosecutor says earlier that he and Miller had planned the killing for about two weeks and that both of them struck the victim and then hid her body. Goodale said Miller had initiated the plan. Miller admitted helping but denied hitting Graber.

The two were charged as adults, but because of their age, they were not subject to a mandatory sentence of life without parole for first-degree murder. Miller is now 17 and Goodale is 18.

Fairfield, a city of 9,400 people, is about 100 miles (160 kilometers) southeast of Des Moines.

Iowa teen gets life in prison for killing Spanish teacher over bad grade

These two low lifes need to be killed

Before being sentenced, Miller said in court Thursday that he accepted responsibility for the killing and apologized to the Graber family.

Miller tendered a apology in open court on the record, for what its worth.

My wife taught in the public school system for 31 years, eventually becoming a high school principal, as well as girl's varsity soccer coach. According to Mary, my wife, she began to notice troubling behavioral issues with many students about 15 years ago.

The trend continued increasing, until she claimed many students became more violent and rebellious. As her district feted her and several others for their decades of service in March, talk turned to how undisciplined and rude students had become.

The death of Ms. Graber underscores their points.

I wonder how low the "bad grade" was.

It shows, among other things, how impulsive some teens are. The effect of one bad grade in high school will have a negligible effect on what they achieve in life. Now whatever dreams they had are gone. They may never walk this earth a free person ever again. The irrationality of it all is incredibly sad. Our sinking society and the new generation of parents that want to be "friends" with their kids instead of taking responsibility for teaching them good values are making teen impulses play out ever more violently. I'm not saying that most young parents are bad, but there are enough bad ones out there that we get increasing incidents like this.

It shows, among other things, how impulsive some teens are. The effect of one bad grade in high school will have a negligible effect on what they achieve in life. Now whatever dreams they had are gone. They may never walk this earth a free person ever again. The irrationality of it all is incredibly sad. Our sinking society and the new generation of parents that want to be "friends" with their kids instead of taking responsibility for teaching them good values are making teen impulses play out ever more violently. I'm not saying that most young parents are bad, but there are enough bad ones out there that we get increasing incidents like this.

That's why I wonder: what made them think that the risk was worth it?

Was it one of these high strung people who couldn't accept a B+? Or was it a question of actually flunking and not being able to graduate on time?

I concur that even if it were a question of not graduating on time, they were totally irrational. There are worse things than just not graduating on time. Even if you had parents who threatened you with bodily harm if you failed, running away from home would make more sense.

As a parent of a teen, my observation is that it's more helicoptering that's the problem - parents teaching the kids that the teacher/school is at fault when the kid fails. I've read too many facebook rants about some "terrible" teacher, only to find, when I asked my kid, that the teacher was very clear about what was expected in order to get a good grade, and both the student and parent were oblivious.

Back