Intestate estate

Honestly, I never expected anything from my mother in death, just like it was in life lol. I'm not actually bitter, I'm just annoyed. This could have been done with easily, and if my sister didn't want to do the work, I can do it. But I can't even present that option, because she won't answer the phone, or answer a text. The other sibling is my brother, and this is causing him some angst, as he just wants this chapter closed, so he can move on with his life.

There is an easy, cost free solution (in terms of dollars) to this issue.

In fact, you've identified it, as noted below.

Honestly, I never expected anything from my mother in death, just like it was in life lol. I'm not actually bitter, I'm just annoyed.

You can simply IGNORE it.

There is no law that requires you to do anything in this particular situation.

You can CHOOSE to do something, if you wish.

However, if you dislike the drama and trouble, SIT BACK, RELAX, close your eyes, soundproof your ears, control yourself, and simply enjoy your life!!!

Honestly, I never expected anything from my mother in death, just like it was in life lol. I'm not actually bitter, I'm just annoyed.

You said it well.

I agree with you.

Three of my siblings committed similar acts of piracy, when my beloved mother died.

I don't obsess over the evil others commit.

I simply ceased all communication with the trio of thieves.

Principle trumps heredity in my view.

My only regret will haunt me until I die is a question that'll never be answered.

What would mother and father say?

There is an easy, cost free solution (in terms of dollars) to this issue.

In fact, you've identified it, as noted below.

You can simply IGNORE it.

There is no law that requires you to do anything in this particular situation.

You can CHOOSE to do something, if you wish.

However, if you dislike the drama and trouble, SIT BACK, RELAX, close your eyes, soundproof your ears, control yourself, and simply enjoy your life!!!

You said it well.

I agree with you.

Three of my siblings committed similar acts of piracy, when my beloved mother died.

I don't obsess over the evil others commit.

I simply ceased all communication with the trio of thieves.

Principle trumps heredity in my view.

My only regret will haunt me until I die is a question that'll never be answered.

What would mother and father say?
Thank you.
My mother would probably blurt some kind of drunken expletive, something to the effect of
"**** em all."
My sister, is apparently my mother reincarnated.
My brother at this point has said that maybe we should just sit back and wait, because it can't go through probate without us. At some point, she'll have to contact us if she's going to do anything with that house. But I know he is highly perturbed, and I was trying to find some way to resolve it for him. He's just recently had cancer, and I know he doesn't need the stress, and I know, even when he says, let it go, it's festering there in the back of his head...

All of you are your mother's biological children. Any one of you three can apply to be administrator of your mother's estate, and the court should appoint the one that does, so long as they have the support of the majority of heirs. If not, then the court will decide. As I pointed out, I don't see any requirement that one must have have paid the funeral bill in order to be appointed administrator of an intestate estate. Keep contacting attorneys.
Thank you. I suppose I can fill out the petition and send it and the death certificate to the county clerk. The worst thing that can happen is they reject it, right?

My brother at this point has said that maybe we should just sit back and wait, because it can't go through probate without us. At some point, she'll have to contact us if she's going to do anything with that house.
Your brother is wrong. Your sister could certainly be appointed representative of the estate without your specific approval, and could do what needs to be done with the house without your specific approval. Of course, there are legal requirements that you be made aware of what is going on, but if she is the court-appointed representative, then she doesn't need your specific approval.

So what do we do?

I'm not sure who "we" are, but you're free to retain the services of a probate attorney to probate your mother's estate.

So, the problem here is that the I cannot file it with the county. According to their website, I have to submit a death certificate (which yes, that I can get) the petition for administration, and the paid funeral bill. The sibling paid the funeral bill, and I can't get it.

You don't need a funeral bill to start the probate process.

You are, of course, free to do absolutely nothing. If you don't care about your mother's estate, there's no obligation that you do anything.

Thank you. I suppose I can fill out the petition and send it and the death certificate to the county clerk. The worst thing that can happen is they reject it, right?
That's not how it works and you don't want to just start randomly sending documents. Do this right.

At some point, she'll have to contact us if she's going to do anything with that house.

That is one option, however, bandits/pirates/crooks/thieves don't often follow the rules and laws that civilized, moral people do.

Again, I know this from personal experience.
The Sibling Pirates I posted about, were able to ELIMINATE any and all legal barriers by FORGING and LYING.

Along with their GREEDY natures, the THREE pirates were able to LOSE mother's will, clean out her safe deposit box, vacuum up everything from her banking assets, along with her jewelry, and dad's gold coin collection.

As mother's attorney of record, those THREE BANDIDOS even sold her home and dad's land holdings, he left to mother upon her demise.

I was able to protect his ranch, which I've now legally deeded to my ill, but only remaining sibling. When she takes her last breath, it'll go to my two nieces.

I wish you well.

You've already learned this, keep your attitude in check.

Mother was widowed 23 years ago. Her spouse at the time was a second marriage for both, he had no will. We believe his estate was split between her and his children from a prior marriage, and she seems to have gotten the house, but we are not privy to the details.
Sibling stayed with her from April to October, when she passed. The other 2 siblings, who were no contact with her, had no knowledge of this, until she died. Sibling told us there was no will. The funeral home has told us that they sent the death certificate to Social Security, but that's it. Nothing seems to have been done to start probate. Sibling that stayed with her was put on bank account before her passing, and has just disappeared. No response to phone calls or texts.
House is paid in full, but as we understand it, even if there is a paid up homeowner insurance policy, with the home owner deceased, it would not cover anything.
So what do we do? Nothing?

**UPDATE** We have hired an attorney and they are putting together the package to get this into probate. Apparently, I get to be the administrator. And she has been seen in NJ, so the house is indeed sitting unattended in FL.

**UPDATE** We have hired an attorney and they are putting together the package to get this into probate. Apparently, I get to be the administrator. And she has been seen in NJ, so the house is indeed sitting unattended in FL.

Bully for you and your family.

The funeral bill is not required for probate. It's for the case of distributing assets without probate. And it's not just the funeral expense but any of the estate debts. This is an express thing to give out a few remaining estate items when everything else has taken care of.

Stop getting wrapped around the axle about that. Assuming the property has value of more than $75,000, you're probably not eligible for that anyhow.

The funeral bill is not required for probate. It's for the case of distributing assets without probate. And it's not just the funeral expense but any of the estate debts. This is an express thing to give out a few remaining estate items when everything else has taken care of.

Stop getting wrapped around the axle about that. Assuming the property has value of more than $75,000, you're probably not eligible for that anyhow.

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out why that attorney told me I needed it. Honestly, I think he just heard about the ghosted sister, and didn't want to deal with that, so that was a way of deflecting me. The attorney I'm with now didn't even mention the paid funeral bill, and yes, the estate is worth more then 75k.

The attorney I'm with now didn't even mention the paid funeral bill, and yes, the estate is worth more then 75k.

I'm happy to hear things are back on track for you.

Alas, $75,000 is not worth today what it once was.

$95,603.28 in 2023 has the same purchasing power as $75000 in 2013.

YIKES!!!!

Ten years certainly is a difference, isn't it???

...yikes.gif

You're right. Note the $13,500 price tag on a home in this photo from a 1955 episode of Highway Patrol.

Three bedrooms and four luxurious bathrooms.

I remember when dad and mom bought their second home.

Dad was so proud, because he said he never thought he could afford a home costing $5,000. The new home they bought in 1954, cost them $12,500. Their down payment was $6,500.

They ended up financing a mere $4,000. Mom's parents gave them $2,000 towards the purchase. The home set on a 4 acre lot in the unincorporated county.

upload_2023-2-19_14-18-14.jpeg

Ahh, those were the days, no?
The house is worth about 300k. So, we can't use the small estate part of Florida Law, that limits it to 75k.
I have given them all the information, and paid the retainer. Now they're getting all the paperwork together, and will be sending it to the county clerk to start the probate process.
I am sure I will be the "bad guy" with my extended family, it's going to be portrayed as I "sued my sister" even though that's not what it is. I am just trying to make sure that assets are protected, and evenly and fairly distributed.
My brother actually saw her drive past him in NJ, so she's there, and the house is sitting empty and unattended in Florida. That is what made my decision.

Back