Internet Forum Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzMan

Hello.

I recentlly have been a member of a private online forums site. I am a registered user there. A few days ago i was reading a topic addressed to a few "flamers" as they may be called.

They are accused of harrasing other members of the site. Keep in mind the ONLY harrassment has occured in the topics posted. It has not moved into e-mail or anything else.

The owner of the site threatened to ban the ISPs of these memberes. He also made the statement that, in the event these banned people accessed the site though other Porxy settings he would prosecute them for "trespassing".

While i am pretty sure he cannot do this, i was wondering what the laws are conserning re-visiting (and registering) on a site you are banned from. Does the own have any legal power?

I'm not sure what you are asking here but if it is whether an administrator has the right to exclude visitors than I would think the answer is a definite yes. It's the same as protecting your own property and taking appropriate remedies. Trespass has been a successful tort theory to use against unwanted entry, especially search spiders. But moreso, if you have agreed to a terms of service in order to use the site, then you could be sued (civilly) for breaching the terms of the agreement. I'd say if you login with a new ID it doesn't change the fact that you breached the terms of service with your other ID.

Originally posted by JazzMan
Hello.

I recentlly have been a member of a private online forums site. I am a registered user there. A few days ago i was reading a topic addressed to a few "flamers" as they may be called.

They are accused of harrasing other members of the site. Keep in mind the ONLY harrassment has occured in the topics posted. It has not moved into e-mail or anything else.

The owner of the site threatened to ban the ISPs of these memberes. He also made the statement that, in the event these banned people accessed the site though other Porxy settings he would prosecute them for "trespassing".

While i am pretty sure he cannot do this, i was wondering what the laws are conserning re-visiting (and registering) on a site you are banned from. Does the own have any legal power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back