International Medical bill collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

tia8146

Hi,

I live in the state of NY and my father was visiting us for a brief period and he had traveller's visitor medical insurance. He had to go to the ER because of a brain haemmorage. Unfortunately, the insurance refused to pay the bill citing it as a prexisting condition. The bill is huge (around 120K) and there is no way we can pay this bill. My father has gone back to his home country. I have few questions:

1. Is a person in a visitor visa considered a resident in NY state? In other words, is he eligible for charity care and emergency medicaid?

2. Under NY state laws, a home cannot be foreclosed for medical bill collection. Is this true irrespective of the location of home? What if the home is in a different country?

3. What will happen to the bill since my father is no longer in the US? Will it be sent for collection to his home country? If that is the case, will he get all protection under US laws?

Thanks,
Rashmi

Hi,

I live in the state of NY and my father was visiting us for a brief period and he had traveller's visitor medical insurance. He had to go to the ER because of a brain haemmorage. Unfortunately, the insurance refused to pay the bill citing it as a prexisting condition. The bill is huge (around 120K) and there is no way we can pay this bill. My father has gone back to his home country. I have few questions:

1. Is a person in a visitor visa considered a resident in NY state? In other words, is he eligible for charity care and emergency medicaid?

2. Under NY state laws, a home cannot be foreclosed for medical bill collection. Is this true irrespective of the location of home? What if the home is in a different country?

3. What will happen to the bill since my father is no longer in the US? Will it be sent for collection to his home country? If that is the case, will he get all protection under US laws?

Thanks,
Rashmi

No, your dad (a citizen of another country) would not be eligible for state assisted medical care. Eligible, that is, in the normal sense. He'll still get his bill paid, read on.

You are not legally responsible for your dad's medical bills.

Your dad can't be sued for those bills. Well, he could, but I doubt that he will be. No, the NY hospital can't touch his home. They won't even try. They might annoy you, but as soon as they learn he lives 8,000 miles away, in another country, they'll write this off!!!!

The taxpayers of the US and NY will eventually end up eating this medical bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back