Security Deposit Intentional omission of info and misleading information

Lynn c s

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My landlord in bucks county Pa when asked move in costs 1st months rent 940 and deposit 940 and this was also listed on his listing of rental property and in my tenant profile in my tenant portal or was now it isn't landlord removed it but I have a printed copy and screen shot of that page so I have to sign everything on this DocuSign which was very frustrating with nothing explained to me and some things not even mentioned well on my lease which I did not remembering reading this before I signed the lease well when I reread my lease my security deposit of $940 is written as none held collected a non-refundable security fee not once did the landlord ever correct me when I asked how much was security deposit he would refer to my security or move in costs then after reading this I messaged landlord in tenant portal about this non refundable security fee a few times with no response ever from landlord if I was informed of this prior to applying for this apartment I would not have even applied my landlord since May 1, 2019 left out important information intentionally even when asked how much is security deposit the landlord did not correct me and in all of his correspondences not once does he refer to the security deposit or security money or move in costs as a non refundable security fee leaving me as a possible new tenant intentional omission of information and misleading information that did not allow me to make an informed decision to even apply for this apartment then he fixed 2 typos on my lease that I wasn't informed of these typos that he calls editing my lease he crossed out and changed and he intialed his initials not the landlord initials on my lease and informs me after he made the changes and updated my lease pa law states any changes made to lease is at the end of term unless otherwise agreed by both landlord and tenant and landlord must give tenant 30 days notice to these changes and we both must initial if we both agreed to these changes he did none of that one was the end of term on lease 4/30/2019 when itshould of been 4/30/2020 and the other utility who's responsible there are several other intentional omissions on addendums I also have a housing choice voucher to rent this apartment I did not receive a federally approved and required lead paint pamphlet and it's not on my tenant portal with lease and addendums nor is a required copy of my tenancy addendum section 8 tenant-based assistance housing choice voucher program and my landlord after making more maintenance and repairs sends me this msg it appears that you are not happy and if you want to break your lease we would be agreeable with no termination charge in which I didn't have an early termination charge but by agreeing to this I don't know enough about the law to protect myself I don't trust my landlord he has received me from the very first day I met him please let me know if I can sue him for my security deposit and possibly some of the rent I paid returned to me I have a copy of original lease and updated lease I had to get to a printer to print them out please any legal advice on what I can do is greatly appreciated

I didn't read that big block of text. Does the word paragraph mean anything to you?

Anyway, a non-refundable security deposit is illegal. So, yes, you can sue for your security deposit if it's being wrongfully withheld.

See the PA security deposit law:

Pennsylvania Security Deposit Law

It's one long run-on sentence!

It is unclear to me why Lynn believes that she should get some of her rent money back.

While Lynn is entitled to the return of the security deposit, she should remember that she might owe for any damages beyond normal wear and tear there were to the unit. Hopefully she has plenty of photos documenting the conditions at move in and move out. Additionally, she should realize that there are other consequences when one breaks a lease...

Back