Consumer Fraud Insurance Company and Breach of Personal Info...

Superfreak3

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My question involves court procedures for the state of: PA

Hi all,

New to the forums and I'm not really sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes....

I received an email today that indicated payment had been received on a Renter Insurance policy. The catch is that I don't own a policy from this particular insurance company. So, I wanted to see how payment was made to insure my accounts haven't been compromised. After calling Customer Service at this company, I learned that they have my name almost correct except for middle initial. Phone number on the account was mine and the last four of my SS# matched. The only other difference was the address.

Once the customer service realized the oddities, she was hesitant to provide further information and instructed to call the local insurance agent listed on the email I received. Doing so didn't get me much further and they weren't very helpful. They instructed to notify the police as I may be a victim of identity theft. One thing I did learn was that the policy has been active for 6 years.

The police filed a report and instructed to check my credit report. It does not appear that the payment came from any of my accounts. So there doesn't appear to be a crime.

After some net searching we found an individual with mathing name living at the address initially indicated as the address of record on the policy.

Sorry for dragging this out, but it seems to me that this other individual may have had easy access or may have even been provided my sensitive information, especially my SS#. At this point, I'm not even sure how to correct it with the insurance company as they are really unwilling to do anything at this point, probably to cover their own backside.

My question, is there anything I can threaten or maybe even file a legal complaint against the insurance company? If so, what legal basis do I have?

Thanks in advance for any legal advice anyone can give!!

My question, is there anything I can threaten or maybe even file a legal complaint against the insurance company? If so, what legal basis do I have?

What's your goal here? You want blood? You want money? You want a public apology? You want somebody tarred and feathered?

Mistakes happen when people have the same or similar names.

So far, I don't see where you've been harmed financially or otherwise so your obvious annoyance isn't worth a nickel.

You're welcome to file a complaint with the insurance department and see if it gets you anywhere.

If there isn't anything that shows up on a credit report or anything deducted from any of your accounts, you should be ok. It apparently was an "honest" error.

Back