Infertility due to midwife's negligence

Status
Not open for further replies.

destiny13

3 months into my pregnancy I looked up my symptoms and had my midwife do a test for Bacterial Vaginosis (BV), [an infection caused by over production of the vagina's 'friendly' bacteria] and five days later she said I did not have it. In fact she said I was fine and healthy. So I believed her.
But the symptoms persisted and she somehow thought that it was normal.
I switched to a Gynecologist, because the midwife did not check anything but my blood pressure at my 6 week postpartum checkup, and the Gynecologist just looked under a microscope to see if I had BV or not.....I do.
So I'm sure that I have been walking around with BV for months now, and I suspect that since the midwife did not care to look into it (or anything) seriously, that I now have pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) because I have the pain associated with it, and PID is what BV leads to if left untreated (will get tested for PID in two days). If that's the case, then I've had it for awhile and there's a strong possibility that I can become infertile if I'm not already (because of the cervix opening up during birth, and giving it a better chance to spread infection).
So if I am infertile due to her negligence could I sue her?
OR if everything turns out okay, can i sue her for pain and suffering just because I told her specifically what to test me for, and she didn't catch it?
Personally I'm not even sure if she took me seriously, because she's a "professional" and she thinks I don't know anything because I didn't earn a medical degree.
I'm only 20, and I want one more baby!
I'm gonna be so depressed if I cannot conceive again!

You cannot sue for a "what if". You have no idea if you are infetile or not. It doesn't even sound like you are trying to get pregnant again. If you have a state agency that monitors midwives you can file a complaint.

I will be trying to conceive again in a couple months, and because I've had it for so long, their is a big chance of being infertile.
but what I asked is if i am infertile, would I be able to sue.
I would not file for what ifs.
But it would be hard to prove her negligence huh?
I will find out on the fifth, and wanted to get the ball rolling on this forum, because it often takes a few days to get any advice that tells anything useful;) .

Last edited:
If you are unable to conceive and you can prove that it was the midwife's negligence, then you should talk to an attorney.

However what does your regular ob/gyn say? You'll need to rely on them for an opinion also of how much damage, if any, this BV caused.

Thanks, I'll talk it over with my Gyno.
BTW, what do you mean a state agency that monitors midwives?
Do they monitor the complaints, or do they go and physically watch over them once in awhile?
How should I google this for colorado?
(I need it put into words that I can understand when I look it up)
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back