Indiana Small Claims Summons for breach in lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhelp22

Hello there. I live in Indiana, where I'm aware there is very little protection for tenants. Here's the situation: I rented an apartment for 3 and half years approximately. Towards the last few months, I fell on hard times. Rent was backed up as I was in a car accident and working less. I was not allowed to use my vacation time for injuries and ran through my sick time, but since I was a good employee, they allowed me to quite (and I'm on the rehire list). I got a notice of course as my rent was late. This was approximately around the end of August 2010. I spoke with my landlords and my mom spoke with them. My personal property was taken and placed into storage. We were advised over the phone that to get it back (it was very costly furniture, TVs, not to mention very high end designer clothes, bags, etc.) we would have to pay the amount due (fair enough), and if we didn't pay the amount due, then my personal property would be auctioned off to cover the past rented owed, and any fees pertaining to that. Even at fair market value, the items were well enough to cover the amount due and then some. This was told to us over the phone a little over 2 years ago. Just today, I received a small claims court summons to appear for the amount past due over two years ago. Well, now I'm freaking out. I already dealt with losing all of my belongings and realize it was my error to default on the rent, however, I was under the assumption that my belongs were sold and used towards the delinquency. Now i'm wondering where my belongings are, and I'm really worried that they are going to try to say that I "abandoned" the property. You know, it's been 2 plus years, so I don't remember all of the details to claim conversion, I thought this was all handled. Is there anything I can do or am I just sol?

Some more information you may need: Since this all occurred, I moved back home with my mom and reenrolled in school. I have not been working, and I don't have the amount they are wanting. Oddly enough, I reenrolled and am in my bachelor's (ironically I just took Real Estate Law) and I had hopes of taking the LSAT and eventually applying to law school. Now I'm also wondering if this is going to effect that. I've made dean's list every quarter since I enrolled and have a straight A average. Any help would be really appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back