1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Indecent Liberties with a minor - North Carolina - ADVICE?? Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders

Discussion in 'Criminal Charges' started by ruinedforinnoce, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruinedforinnoce

    ruinedforinnoce Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I will try to keep this brief...

    I was molested 18 years ago at the age of 4. I have had repressed memories of it that came to light about a year ago. I have searched and searched for my childhood friend's uncle (he lived my friend's family off and on) and found him, he currently lives in Tennessee. He is already on the national sex offender's registry-- he was convicted of indecent liberties with a minor in 1995, four years after my abuse occurred.

    This abuse has taken so much from me. I do not want any other children to lose what I have lost because of him. I do not know if he served jail time or what punishment he has received already. I am not out to "make him pay", I simply want to be sure he is not given a chance to do this again. Especially after seeing that I was not the only one he abused.

    Here is why I hesitate...

    I do not remember it actually happening. All I recall is being alone in the house and room with him. I remember having "symptoms" of child abuse after that day and for a very long time. Also I remember having a cigarette burn on my arm. When I saw his picture on the offender's registry, I immediately recognized his face. But that is all I remember with certainty.

    I asked my mom about that day.... My mother went to get me (she thought I was playing with my friend), when she knocked on the door she heard sudden shuffling and he brought me to the door. When my mom got me to our back door she saw the cigarette burn and asked how I got it. I told her I didn't remember. She began to piece together what had just happened and asked if anything "bad" happened. I told her no. She never did anything about it. She never took a picture of the cigarette burn or filed a report because I told her nothing had happened.

    I recently contacted the investigator he reports to, who told me that he reports to him once a year. While I believe people can change, it scares the h*** out of me that he lives in an apartment complex (usually a place with kids all over the place) and he reports on an "honor system" only once a year... I just don't want any other children to have to grow up without their innocence, self confidence or ability to trust.

    So back to my question...

    I don't have any actual memory of getting burned or molested but only remember being in the room and house alone with him, watching TV. Then I remember nothing about what happened next...and then my next memory is me walking back with my mom and me seeing the burn on my arm and her asking me about it.

    So if I don't have any memory of it actually occurring, is there even any chance of me being taken seriously if I decide to press charges?

    Sorry this is so lengthy...and thank you for your time.

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.