Indecent exposure

bc00

Jurisdiction
Michigan
Hi everyone,
Yesterday I was arrested for being naked in the middle the street. As stupid as it sounds, I was dared to streak by my friends and I did it. I guess one of the people driving past saw me and called the cops, and I was charged with indecent exposure. This is my first criminal offense, and I'm very scared for the repercussions because I'm supposed to be going to college next week. What is the likelihood that I am convicted/go to jail/probation, and is it possible that this can be off my record? Thanks

Since you apparently don't deny having committed the crime, I would assume the chances of being convicted are virtually certain. My guess is that incarceration is not a realistic possibility and that the worst thing that will happen is you'll get a small fine. As far as the possibility of some sort of plea bargain that results in the matter being sealed, you'll have to discuss it with a local attorney, but this is such a minor thing that it's probably not worth the expense.

Since you apparently don't deny having committed the crime, I would assume the chances of being convicted are virtually certain. My guess is that incarceration is not a realistic possibility and that the worst thing that will happen is you'll get a small fine. As far as the possibility of some sort of plea bargain that results in the matter being sealed, you'll have to discuss it with a local attorney, but this is such a minor thing that it's probably not worth the expense.

Thanks for the reply. I'm really not familiar with plea bargains, but is that something that I could argue for myself? If not, what's the consequence of not having a plea bargain?

This is my first criminal offense, and I'm very scared for the repercussions...

Well you should have been scared before doing something so stupid.

Below is information obtained online from a Michigan attorney's website. If I was you I'd consider getting an attorney, or at least consulting with one.

Indecent exposure is generally a misdemeanor offense which results in criminal penalties that include up to one year in jail and fines of up to $1,000 for those convicted. However, an individual who is convicted of aggravated indecent exposure may face penalties which are effectively double those for indecent exposure. A conviction for indecent exposure by a sexually delinquent person will result in punishment which includes a maximum of life in prison.

In addition to jail or prison time and fines, those convicted of indecent exposure may be required to register as a sex offender on the Michigan Sex Offender Registry. Registered sex offenders face many difficulties in regards to securing housing, employment, and in other aspects of their lives. The length of registration depends on factors including the seriousness of the crime an individual is convicted of, and typically lasts from 15 years to life. There are numerous consequences of being placed on the public registry.

I'm really not familiar with plea bargains, but is that something that I could argue for myself? If not, what's the consequence of not having a plea bargain?

A plea bargain is an agreement whereby the defendant pleads guilty, thereby saving the prosecutor the time and expense of taking the case to trial, and the prosecutor agrees to pursue a certain level of punishment (typically something less than the maximum that the defendant faces).

If you don't agree to a plea, then you'll go to trial, which makes for an uncertain result. As I mentioned previously, I think paying for a lawyer might not be worthwhile for something this minor. On the other hand, I'm guessing you're no more than 18, so this may be a bit difficult for you to handle on your own, and you may get some prosecutor who tries to scare you in the same way the prior response does.

Well kiddo, I don't know what the charge is as you don't specify, nor what school you are planning to attend but there a a lot of colleges who will drop you as a student for charges/convictions of various types. This varies by school, but it is a consequence you should be prepared for. If you had federal student aid or scholarships, that can be affected as well. And they WILL find out. Do not count on slipping through the cracks. You do need to talk to an attorney. Stupidity has consequences.

Back