Incorrect traffic ticket information

Status
Not open for further replies.

teefaw

Last month in CA I was given a ticket for a traffic infraction that involved a left turn over double double yellow lines. First, let me say that I made the turn - no dispute. However, the infraction cited by the officer was, I believe, incorrect. It's only a sub para different but CA vehicle code 21651(a)(2) as cited indicates that I made the left turn over the lines from the road that the lines were on. What I mean is that this would have been a deliberate act either turning left or making a U-turn and ignoring the lines. What I actually did was join the street and turn left from a parking lot. I didn't see the double double yellows 'til it was too late to do anything safe other than turn left. There is no other indication as you leave the parking lot to indicate that only right turns are permitted. The actual infraction was 21651(a)(1). It's pedantic I know but this was not a deliberate violation and I do not want it to appear as such. As well, the ticket also states the wrong location for the infraction!

For my own peace of mind I went back to the parking lot 3 days later to check that I hadn't missed anything. In the space of 3 minutes I saw 4 cars leave the lot, 3 of which crossed those double double yellows (as well as 2 others deliberately ignore the lines by turning left off the street into the lot). The entrance/exit is not that busy - it was the first time I'd ever used it - but in that short space of time I saw 5 infractions.

I did cross thiose lines - no doubt - but I do feel hard done by. It's going to cost me $159 bail, and a point on my license. The court will charge me $39 for traffic school (plus what the school will charge) but I think I have to just suck it up for that option - incorrect citation (implying a deliberate violation) and the wrong location written on the ticket. I'd like, at least, to make the point to the court that this infraction was not deliberate and that the exit from the parking lot (and actually the one directly across the street) could be marked with an obvious indication that only right turns are permitted. The officer that ticketed me, by the way, was sat on his motorcycle at the parking lot exit directly across the street.

What would be your advice on whta I should do please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back