"Improper U-Turn" Ticket - NYS 1160e

Status
Not open for further replies.

ae123

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: NY

I was driving on a country road with one lane in each direction (and no real shoulder, explained further below) in Monticello, NY and attempted to make a u-turn.
Since I was driving a large mini-van, I veered to the right before making the u-turn to allow me to make the the u-turn in one motion.
A State Trooper stopped me before I even crossed the line and ticked me for violating NYS 1160e - improper u-turn.
The law states as follows:

"U-turns. U-turns shall be made from and to that portion of the
highway nearest the marked center line. Where more than one lane of a
highway has been designated for left turns, U-turns shall be made only
from the lane so designated that is adjacent to the marked center line."

I feel that since I was driving a large mini-van and there was only one lane, and no real shoulder, I needed to veer rightward before making the u-turn or otherwise I probably wouldn't make it in one motion. The above law would apply only if I made the u-turn from the shoulder or from the right lane of two lanes. In my case I needed to veer rightward somewhat. Also, since there was only one lane and no shoulder, how far could I have been from the middle line anyway?
Keep in mind that I never actually executed the u-turn, as I was stopped by the Trooper before crossing the middle line.

My question is, do I plea bargain and accept a parking ticket or something similar, or should I go before the judge with the above argument and try to get the ticket dismissed?

P.S. In case you're wondering how I veered right if there is only one lane and no real shoulder, the answer is that even in a one-lane road, there is always approximately 2-3 feet between the vehicle and the side of the road and between the vehicle and the middle line.

I just double checked on Google Maps Street View and there is a white line on the right side of the road with approximately 2 feet past it before the grass.
Perhaps I veered over that tiny "shoulder" (if that's what it is called) in order to execute my u-turn.
Even so, considering that there is only one lane and no "real shoulder" - and I was driving a large mini-van, don't I have a point?
I would attach a picture of the road, but apparently I'm unable to.

Please help!
Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back