1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Immigration officer limiting length of stay Tourist Visa

Discussion in 'Visiting the U.S., Passports' started by jtd1, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtd1

jtd1 Law Topic Starter New Member

My friend has a tourist visa valid for 10 years which allows multiple entries for up to six months.
    Last year my friend visited for 5 1/2 months.
    The previous year she visited for 10 days.
    This year, the immigration officer stated she could only stay for a few months and not six months.
    He said that he added that note into the computer system.
    I told him the U.S. Embassy that granted her the visa gave her permission to stay up to six months.
    The immigration officer said that she better leave after a few months.
    Does the immigration officer have the power to limit the length of her stay? Is she not able to stay six months?

2. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

I have no idea what kind of visa she has nor the terms. If you provide more information, glad to talk about it and the details why the officer believes he/she has the right to change the length of stay.

3. kankad

kankad New Member

The duration of stay is decided at the "port of entry", not at the time of visa issuance. If the officer at the port of entry believes that the true intention of your trip is not a visit (some people work part-time as well, which is illegal on a visitor visa), he can limit the duration of stay.