Criminal Law Immigration law

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxcvbn

My cousin was aressted in Maimi ,Florida in 2002 for shoplifting. The merchandise involved was $260.00.She had some altercation with the security office of the store.She was arrested,fingerprinted and released on $500 bail.
She hired an attorney for expedited trial on the advise of an immigration lawyer as her immigration interview was coming up.
The attorney handling misdemenor charges made her write what actually happened and she had to do 50 hours of community service.The case was signed off as an expedited trial,PTD with Nolle Porsequi.It was expunged the same year.
She and her husband submitted that paper during the immigration interview for the green card which was in 2002.
Subsequently she was given the green card through an immigration lawyer in 2003;there was a delay because the file was misplaced.
She has been married to a US citizen since 1999 and the couple has a 9 year old daughter.
The questions-
If she files for citizenship -what she should write for the following questions--
1. Have you ever been commited of a crime or offence yes/no
2.Have you ever been placed in alternative sentencing or rehabilitative program yes/no
3.Have you ever been placed with suspended sentence/parole/on placed on probation-yes/no
4.Have you ever been in jail/prison- yes/no
Will this charge disqualify her from becoming a citizen
Will she be deported
What is the worst outcome
Thanks in advance for your time
asdfg

I have no idea what PTD means - petty theft?

I highly doubt she will be deported and crimes like these may qualify for the "petty offense" exemption from certain repercussions, from my understanding. I don't know whether she was convicted (plead guilty) or whether the case was dismissed pending her completing a successful period of probation. You need to obtain more facts from her in order to fill out the form.

The case was put to speedy trial and went to pretrial diversion. She finished community work and case was dismissed as Nolle Prosequi.She never convicted and case was subsequently expunged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back