I'm in Canada, boyfriend has my car in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

delaney

Hi all,
this is my first time posting a message here. I hope I came to the right thread/room.
I'm originally from southeast asia, currently studying in Canada. My boyfriend is a US citizen by birth. We dated back in 2006 for 6 months when I was still living in the states, but things didn't work out as we wanted. Last year we started the relationship again, and made plans of meeting up in Canada and start anew.
Last February we made a car purchase in United States with the money wired directly from my home country to the car dealership in Virginia. The car was then registered in my boyfriend's name, as he was going to drive it into Canada with his stuff in the car's trunk (he gradually started moving into Canada while waiting for job approval at a Canadian hospital he was applying to). However, in mid July he still didn't receive a word from the hospital which would hire him here in Canada -- meanwhile, his financial situation back in states was starting to deteriorate (he's been out of job since last year). To make things worse, he is bipolar. He had manic attacks, and his condition has been bad since. Currently he's in the brink of foreclosure and bankruptcy, and hasn't been able to think straight to dig himself out of the mess.
As a foreigner in Canada I can't just come into the US any time I want. So, my only hope is that he would drive my car back from the states to Canada to return it to me, so I can register the car in my own name in Alberta.
I would like to ask a couple of questions :
1. The car is still in his name. I'm pretty sure he hasn't sold it or anything. Yet he still can't commit everytime I ask when he is going to return the car to me. I also gave him two options : to bring the car back to Canada and return it to me, or sell the car at nearest dealership and wire me the money immediately. But he still can't commit to either one. He keeps saying he has trouble in thinking straight. My question is, should I take a legal action on this ? (Note : this has been going on since early August, approximately 8 weeks ago).
2. The car is registered in his name, although I have the proof of transfer to show that the car was purchased with fund from overseas (my home country). I also have emails and archives of conversations on messenger to proof that the car was purchased NOT with his money, an email from the salesman who assisted him with the purchase; as well as a copy that two individuals have filed restraining order against him last year, and his forwarded emails from his previous coworkers asking him to get off of their back (sounds like he's been bothering them after he lost his job). Will this help my case ?
3. In the case that I need to take legal action, should I report this directly to the local PD where he lives, or should I find a criminal lawyer to represent my case ? (which could be costly, I suppose. My car is only a 2004 used car. But it is truly a valued property to me).
Thanks for your answers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back