Criminal Law Im confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

funnyone

I was arrested in April, 1998 for intent to defraud. In Sept., 1998 I was told to plead guilty and pay a $2000 fine and they would reduce my conviction to a misdemeanor. So I did and I was put on a one year probation. I was never put in jail after I was arrested and I never did any time afterwards either, but was let go on a conditional discharge. I never did anything before that and haven't done anything since, but I am a Permanent Resident Alien and am trying to become an American Citizen and I was wondering if this will affect my citizenship?

What did the folks who issue citizenship docs say to you when you asked them your question?

What matters is what kind of charge you were accused of…give more details of the original charge, and what you pleaded guilty?
What was the maximum sentence of the original charge?
What is the maximum sentence on what you pleaded guilty to?
Did an immigration lawyer review your plea?
What sentence did you get?
How old were you when these charges were filed against you?
Is that the only arrest on you record? If not answer the 3 questions above.
You could qualify for citizenship depending what you your max sentence was….
Are you married to a US citizen…..do you have kids and/or family here?

I need all the answers above to give you an accurate answer.

Thank you for replying Mafioso!
I have the conviction/disposition in front of me and it says charging with the intent to defraud and I pleaded guilty to that.
I didn't speak to an immigration lawyer at the time, but I was assigned a public defender and he told me that it wouldn't affect my citizenship.
I don't remember what the maximum sentence was but I know it was doing some kind of jail time. I was given a one year probation and given a conditional discharge.
I was 21 years old when this happened and it was 9 years ago.
Yes, this is the only arrest on my record.
Yes, I have been married to a U.S. citizen for 3 years and he is an Officer in the Marine Corps and we do not have children yet.
I hope this helps...let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks!

I forgot to add that my charge was dropped to a misdemeanor because I plead guilty and paid the $2000 fine.

You need to answer all the questions with exact answers………….Each question matters. Some misdemeanors can prevent you from becoming a citizen and even deport you in a second. So I would advise you to look for the answers to all the 8 or so questions I asked. You have not provided enough info to get immigration advice. Most public defenders don't know a thing about immigration law. They don't realize there is a different standard for US citizens and non citizens even with GC. You could be even denied entry at an entry port when you travel out due to your plea…………..It has to meet a certain petty crime excerption for you to get citizenship or maintain a GC.

Oh, I know you answered some questions............just answer all, and I would be ready to help. I have responded to many such questions which could help you. Check our immigration section........

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back