I'm 19 & i took an 18.00 lipstick from (dept. store) what do I do?

Ilovelayys

Hi, Im 19 years old & i took a lipstick from (dept. store) that was worth 18.00.
My friend aslo did the same but with a 20.00 shirt. She had gotten a civil demand letter today.
The incident happened on march 3, 2015. The l.p.o took me to the back room & made me sign some paper's also telling me I that i was not permitted on there property.
Her civil demand said she had to pay 200.00. She's a minor. What should I do when my civil letter come's in? I heard to not pay it & go to court yet I also heard to pay it. Please help!

OP- I removed the name of the store for your protection/forum protection. Betty3

Last edited by a moderator:
It is your decision whether to pay the civil demand. If you do, that should be the end of it. If you don't, they "might" pursue additional action against you & you could end up paying more than the civil demand.

(Based on your post, it sounds like the police were not involved - you didn't mention they were.)

Last edited:
When/if you receive a demand letter take it to a local attorney or two for a quick consultation. Understand that it is not a bill and not a fine, and you have no legal obligation to pay it. An attorney can help you decide what is best in your case.

Back