Illegal US Resident and No drivers license

BC3344

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Hi,
Here is my situation. I had rented a room in a house. Another man rented a room also. It took a good year but we eventually build a decent friendship. He approached me while still living together into about the third year (lived together about four years) and asked if I would be willing to place a car under my name because he was having some tax issues. The friendship was sound enough and I thought he was a decent person, so I agreed. We purchased a vehicle with cash at a dealership, the title is under my name which I have. The registration and insurance is also under my name. I gave him the keys and left it that we would revisit the situation in six months. Everything was fine. I felt I was helping out a friend. At a certain point, I felt I should change the situation due to a dramatic shift in his personality of being unappreciative and also unkindness. Recently, I decided I had enough of his attitude and realized this was no friend. Through a mutual friend - who I promised I would leave totally out of it- I learned he is in the US illegally and has no drivers license. I know his personality very well. I never had any bad experiences but if others asked him or told him he needed to do something his MO was to disregard them. I mean he would act totally belligerent. I am about to tell him that I will no longer go along with this. I don't want his car. I am not looking to do anything to harm him. But--- I will do whatever I have to if he does not find someone else to help him. I simply - given I am the legal owner- I will not keep the car in my name! I plan to give him 14 days. I am not asking on thoughts of past mistakes I made in how I dealt with this. For certain, I handled this incorrectly. Dealing with the here and now, did I do anything illegal?? I may have to notify the police and insurance company and penndot if he does not comply. How should I deal with this in a way that causes the least drama, but at the same time remove myself from the situation. I was told by one attorney that if he plays hard ball simply tell the police he will not return the car and that he told me the car was stolen thus he can not return it to me. (In case anyone had the thought that the police will just say this is a domestic issue)
Thank you for any advice to rectify this.
PS To add, I am about to move out of the area and maybe the country, so that only clutters the situation. We no longer live together and have not for two years. I have told the insurance company I was driving the car.

You've committed insurance fraud, broke a few title and registration laws and, of course, the law of the jungle which says "Thou Shalt Not Commit Stupidity if You Hope to Survive the Jungle".

The police aren't going to get involved since you gave him the car voluntarily. Reporting it stolen could get you charged with filing a false police report. The lawyer who suggested that is an idiot.

If you know where he and the car is and you have a set of keys, go get it. If you were fool enough not to keep keys, then go talk to a repo company and see if you can hire them to tow it for you.

Bottom line, you aren't getting out from under this without drama, without difficulty and without cost. And it's nobody's fault but your own.

Maybe call USCIS and turn him in as an illegal. Maybe they will pick him up and deport him and you'll eventually get your car back.

Apparently you have no money invested in this, only your name?
You could look into gifting him the car and reporting this ownership change with the signed off title to the DMV. At that point you could cancel the insurance as it would be the new owner's responsibility.

If you repo or sell the car you might risk exposing yourself for the fraud you have previously committed.

Never assume the huge risk of titling a car (or anything for that matter) to assist a deadbeat.

As suggested, give the loser the car.

That makes it his problem, not yours.

However, he's not your relative, so the state might charge you handsomely for gifting the leech the car.

That sad, it gets the monkey off your back.

So.... Sign the title over to him in his name. Call the DMV to make sure they have recorded it in his name. Call the insurance company ONCE you are 100 % sure it's in his name. Then your done with your stupid action.

The DMV will have to have his driver's license to get the title into his name. Someone will have to pay the sales tax and fees. He will have to obtain insurance. You can't just take your name off of the vehicle. The only legal action that will work to get the title out of your name is for you to sell it to someone else(for cash!) and go with that person to the DMV to transfer the title to that person, then give the money to the illegal and let him try to find another sucker. Or he can use that money for bus fare.

Back