Illegal Eviction Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwilliams143

My jurisdiction is: DeKalb County, Georgia

My family and I made an emergency trip to New York on July 13, fully aware that the rent and the late fee would be paid once we returned on the Today Tues. the 21st. I checked my voicemail on Thrus. the 16th, there was a call from the leasing office from Tues. the 13th. I immediately called and was notified that an eviction process has been started. Not being familiar with GA L/T laws I was shocked! I was told that a letter was sent to me in the mail on the 7th and one was put on my door aswell. I never received them, if I had received it I would have spoken with them before I left. After explaining my situation and assuring that the rent, late fees and court costs would be paid when I arrived back in GA, I was told that they would stop the eviction! I arrived this morning to see a Dispossessory Warrant, stating I refused to pay the rent and give up the apartment and I must answer on or before July 27th.
Is this normal or legal for that matter, Should I give them the money and trust that they will stop the marshal from coming out. Should I pay the money and still answer the warrant. Should I demand something in writing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back