Illegal eviction and the lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atarhpe

I hope I am not becoming annoying with my posts pertaining to my current situation, it's just myself and my lawyer thru legal aid seem to be playing a game of phone tag.

I was reading my lease today and it seems to be a generic form that they used but I noticed a part that I hadn't taken notice of before and was curious where I stood with it.

Background: At the end of April my landlord illegally locked me out of the apartment twice, and is still holding the remaining of my property.

In my lease I noticed a part that basically said if the Tenant breaks the lease in anyway that the LL has the right to obtain possession of the property without having to go through the courts.

I am aware that self-help evictions are not allowed per the PA LL/Tenant laws but I am curious did I waive my right for him to have to take it court by signing the lease? Or was he still required to follow the law despite the fact that this was stated in the lease and like an idiot I signed without reading it?

A landlord can put a stipulation into the lease that if the tenant doesn't pay, the landlord gets to beat him to a bloody pulp and make them jump over the moon.

That doesn't mean it's legal, even if the tenant signs such a lease.

State/district law supersedes whatever a landlord puts in a lease. These states/district laws are there to protect both sides of a tenancy.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back