Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Illegal computer seizure-no warrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

online11111

Hello. I was recently kicked out of my gf's house for circumstances I can't disclose as I have a case pending right now and was not allowed to return and get all my things due to a restraining order-I was only allowed to get clothes, etc.

I found out the police have seized my computer in relation to this investigation. The computer is 100% mine and I was not allowed back into the home to retrieve before it was seized. I have not been presented with a search warrant for seizure and in fact have not even been questioned in relation to the charges, which I also do know the extent of those charges. My question is this-can the police seize my property legally without serving me with a warrant and in fact not even contacting me about an investigation? The computer was in her house but no part of it belonged to her, and I was unable to get it due to the injunction. we were together for several years and had lived together but the PC was my property. Can I fight this seizure?

Seizure

This is just a guess, but if the lady of the house turned over property of yours that was in her possession, and did so voluntarily, then nothing illegal was done. Now...if there is something incriminating on your hard drive, you would certainly want an attorney to jump in with a motion to suppress...or something. Just my two cents, I have no legal training but I read a lot.
Regards,
JH

Thanks for the reply. I can't disclose any more about the case considering the only reason I know there is one is that it is referenced on the injunction, and my ex-gf confirmed a related charge was filed and under investigation. I have not been contacted whatsoever on those charges and in fact don't even know exactly what i am being charged with. My ex knows where I am staying tho she didn't put it on the injunction. However police came to my new place to take me to the crisis center for an intervention so I would assume that record would come up in the computer if they wanted to find me.

as far as motion to suppress I have no job at the moment and cannot afford a real lawyer. I hate to have to rely on a PD but I really have no money to pay a lawyer for the case. I've tried looking up laws and seeing what my rights are but it only goes so far. I welcome any further replies if someone is willing to respond. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back