Unlawful Eviction Illegal apt, now forced to be out in less than a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bavonv

My daughter has been in this apt in Pa for 2 years. Her landlord came to her door and showed her a letter that he said was a "cease and desist". He tells her that the place she lives (there are 3 living areas) is zoned single family, and his tenants need to leave. So he told her she needed to get out asap. This was a friday afternoon, and said he had found her another place to move to. The place is smaller, and since she thought she needed to be out immediately, she agreed to move.
The land lord is now hounding her to get out asap. He is bullying her and even told her to be sleeping in the new place by Tuesday. She works and so does her boyfriend, so getting everything packed and moved is not a 3 day job. He is now saying he wants it cleaned and presentable by this coming Monday, because he is showing the house since he has decided to sell it.
I need to know what her rights are and what local agency/govt office she can go to for help.

You ONLY have to leave, if you've been evicted.

That is a legal process, you get served, you appear in court.

She can simply refuse, then he'd have to give her a notice to quit/leave, wait, take her to court.

Google EVICTION YOUR COUNTY, PA

That will reveal to you HOW it works legally in your county.

If he wants her to leave SOONER or VOLUNTARILY, a landlord normally pays and she had better get EVERYTHING in writing and signed by the landlord.

So, they can relax, but try to avoid an eviction even being filed.

It has many hidden negative consequences.

Now is the time to compromise and negotiate.

You can always contact your city code enforcement or building inspector, ask at your city or township government.

A letter from zoning the place is not a habitable apartment over-rides normal eviction. I bet the zoning inspector is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back