Unlawful Eviction Illegal Apartment - Eviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsrosie

I recently discovered that the apartment I am renting is illegal. My landlord gave me indication that he was intending to evict me so that the upstairs tenants can rent my part of the house. I reported to the town that the apartment is illegal and now the landlord is moving forward with the eviction.

Am I entitled to relocation reimbursement if I am forced to leave because of the illegal status of the apartment? I filed the violation 3 weeks before landlord filed eviction. Am I entitled to any compensation at all? What about rent already paid and deposit?

Should I file a small claims against him? If so, for what?

This situation has put a lot of stress on me - I'm not sure where I am going to live and how much time I have to find a place.

Also, neighbors upstairs are threatening me with physcial harm, landlord is entering aprtment without permission when I'm not home, police are being called for no reason, etc.

You would need to sue the landlord for any moneys you believe is rightfully yours.

As I understand it, it is difficult for the tenant to prove that they are not part of this whole business; that they knew that the unit was illegal and (as in your case) notified the authorities when the threat of eviction came upon them.

Gail

When I first moved in in November, he told me that he still needed the C of O... he had me re-arrange my things until the inspector came. After the inspector came, he told me all was good and that he got the C of O... a few months later when the new tenents moved in upstairs, he told me he wanted me to move out so the tenents upstairs could take over the basement. I protested, told him I would need more notice than what he gave. He got nasty and the neighbors got nasty. Harrassing me by calling the police for every move I make, actually physically threatening me.

As I said, I going through some serious financial hardships - paying my rent with my unemployment - scraping by on the rest.

This landlord is taking Section 8 from the neighbors fruadulently and is looking to make as much money as possible without following the rules. I have been a good tenent - paid all of my rent - only to find out that this scam artist is not even legally supposed to be renting this place - to me or to anyone.

I read somewhere that he could be liable for my relocation expenses - is that true? What about rent already paid? I don't see how I could be entitled to that, but if I am I would like to know ahead of time.

Thanks.

No offense, but are you retarded?

What did you think would happen when you reported your illegal apartment to the government? They could come bring you flowers?

Yes, it sucks, but how can you say you're terribly surprised?

webjunkie - why bother responding to my question with such an immature statement?

i never said i was surprised, but this sc**bag of a landlord should not get away with what he has been doing... if you can't send a thoughtful response - then just move on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back