Consumer Fraud ill will from craigslister

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopezmad3277

found car listed on craigslist as runs good paid 1400 and 3 days later it no longer runs. guy is no where to be found. i have a $600 mechanics bill and still no car. i am unemployed. help

found car listed on craigslist as runs good paid 1400 and 3 days later it no longer runs. guy is no where to be found. i have a $600 mechanics bill and still no car. i am unemployed. help

You've been had.

You bought a car from a private seller.

When you buy a car from a private seller, it is an "as is" sale.

That means, you get the car without a warranty.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, don't buy anything from Craigslist.

People have been KILLED buying things from Craigslist.

Sorry, you're stuck with the car and the $600 repair bill.

The next time you wanna buy a car, please, don't buy it from Craigslist.

I do agree but am asking only because my husband whom was not there at the time of purchase is suggesting that i take my matter to small claims court and since the seller is anable to be reached that in doing so he will most likely not respond, given all information which , and i question as well, would issue and judement in my favor by default.?

Even if the seller did respond you would most likely lose your claim. Before making the purchase it was your responsibility to inspect the vehicle and be satisfied with what you were getting.
If you took the sellers word that it runs good and did nothing further, this is the most common outcome.
The seller is pretty well protected, and the money you gave him probably already spent.

And if you did get a default judjment on a no-show, you still would have to locate the seller to attempt to collect.
The seller could get you back in to court and have your judgment tossed.
It is not a practical approach to take. You will be spending more money in court which you will never be reimbursed for.

Bottom line here, the responsibility was yours at the time of purchase, regardless of where you bought the car. Buyer beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back