if you ask a question about someone on a public forum, are you liable?

Slanderman

This will sound very dumb. On a topix forum a person was rumored to be selling drugs as a manager of a restaurant. Many posts previously about these managers selling drugs. The reputation was already there. A user asks "John Doe? He is the manager of that store. Are you talking about him? He is selling drugs? That explains a lot.". The next post answers "no, not him but the other manager. He covers it up tho because he doesn't want to fire the ones selling drugs." a string of stories then is posted about this manager and how money is missing from the register everyday.

2 months later the John Doe sees the posts and only singles out the first one to mention his name. Says NOTHING about all the stories. Only the first question "John Doe? He is manager of that store. Are you talking about him? He is selling drugs? That explains a lot." This post alone is singled out (only post by this user as well.) as libel. The John Doe claims to already have this users ip address and they will see them in court.

My question, can the user be sued on an anonymous message board for simply mentioning the John Doe's name? No last name was given but the store name was. Also, on a topic.com website, how does one get the ip address of an anonymous user? Is it not free speech to simply ask "oh, you talking about so-and-so? They sell drugs?! That explains a lot." In no way was the message ment to defame them nor was that the intent. It was simply stumbling into a conversation and someone thought they were talking about someone they knew. The question was answered in the following post. The user that dropped the name NEVER posted again after that. 2 pages of stories however did get posted by other anonymous users that knew both the John Doe and the managers selling drugs that were originally in question. Is there a case here and how did they get the ip address? No letter from their ISP has notified them about any requests. Are they just blowing smoke trying to stop the conversation? Also is the original name dropper libel for any stories that came out AFTER the name was dropped? The john doe asked "can you prove that in court? I have your ip address so we will see. I'll see you in court. I'm suing you for libel and slander.". The anonymous user was honestly Just Asking A Question

Back