If a Supreme Court nominee is denied by Senate can they still be nominated again?

L

Legally_Confused

Jurisdiction
D.C.
If a Supreme Court nominee is denied by Senate can they still be nominated again? With the current political situation over the new Justice nomination, I was curious as to whether if Obama chose a nominee that was doomed to be denied by the senate would that nominee be able to be nominated again in the future. The reason for the question is because I am curious as I see it being a cause for people to deny the nomination if they were not going to be eligible in the future.

If a Supreme Court nominee is denied by Senate can they still be nominated again? With the current political situation over the new Justice nomination, I was curious as to whether if Obama chose a nominee that was doomed to be denied by the senate would that nominee be able to be nominated again in the future. The reason for the question is because I am curious as I see it being a cause for people to deny the nomination if they were not going to be eligible in the future.

Anyone nominated to the Supreme Court can be nominated over and over, with no limit.
Most people who fail to make the cut, refuse to be nominated again.
Why?
The process is too painful, and far too intrusive.

Obama may nominate someone, in fact he could nominate a dozen someones, but those nominations will probably languish in the Senate in-boxes.

The Senate isn't required to entertain, or discuss the nominations.
If the Senate chooses to do so, it must be approved.
It will take 60 votes for a nominee to get before the Senate Judiciary committee.
If the person were to make it out of the committee, it takes 51 votes to be approved.

The Senate has 54 Republicans, 44 Democrats, and two independents who caucus with the Democrats (Bernard Sanders of Vermont and Angus King of Maine).

Party control of the Senate sits with the Republican majority (54) and 46 Democrats (counting the two independents noted above).

Unless a few Republicans cave, there will be no Supreme Court nominee APPROVED by the Senate until sometime in 2017, when a new president takes office.

However, I'm sure the sitting president will nominate someone.

I don't care, because I'm enjoying the greatest show on earth, the battle for the presidential nominations by BOTH major parties.

Its the greatest spectacle I've observed in all my life.

Back