I was pulled over for an slightly expired registration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jvjvr9

The police told me that because my car was being towed they have a right to search. They found nothing illegal but told me that my personal belongings in the trunk appeared to be more then I should have there. I explained that I am a student going to college so I have had to store some items there. Then they accused me of stealing some items and will not return some of my belongings. What legal recourse do I have, did they violate my 4th amendment rights? How would I go about getting those items back? Will a motion to supres evidence work?

The police told me that because my car was being towed they have a right to search. They found nothing illegal but told me that my personal belongings in the trunk appeared to be more then I should have there. I explained that I am a student going to college so I have had to store some items there. Then they accused me of stealing some items and will not return some of my belongings. What legal recourse do I have, did they violate my 4th amendment rights? How would I go about getting those items back? Will a motion to supres evidence work?

If the plates are expired, they can't be slightly expired.
Think about it.
If they expired on June 30th, and you cited on July 5th, they're expired.
Being five weeks pregnant is slightly pregnant, its simply pregnant.

If you were stopped for expired plates, the police had the right to tow the car.
They couldn't allow an unlicensed car to traverse the streets, yes, unlicensed.
If the plates aren't valid, the vehicle is unlicensed.

Your recourse is to go to court and make your case before the judge.
Only a RI judge can decide.
I see no illegal search, only an inventory contemporaneous with a tow.
Again, the police have a right and duty to do what they did.

Here's what gave you away: an innocent person knows they need only appear in court and this matter gets resolved in their favor.
Once the police investigate the contents of your trunk, run serial numbers through NCIC, look at old burglaryt and theft reports; your story will be confirmed or contradicted.

Now, this is the important part.
You chose to tell one tale, that might not prove up for you.
When the police start asking questions, they already know 60-75% of the answers, and they're more than clever enough to elicit lies to fill in the blanks; or use their intelligence to figure it out.

I suggest you discuss this with a criminal defense lawyer in your area.
I would urge you even more strongly to do so, if you have theft, burglary, or robbery convictions on your criminal history.

Heck, even a 3rd or 4th rate shoplifter knows enough NOT to blab, except to say, "I want a lawyer."

http://www.dmv.ri.gov/registrations/regrenew/index.php

https://www.ri.gov/DMV/vrr/help.php

If your vehicle is more then 90 days past its expiration date you need to go in person to the DMV to reregister your vehicle: bring your identification as well as your old registration and insurance information to the branch to fill out the necessary forms.

Note: In most cases, if you are not able to complete the renewal online you should contact the DMV at 401-462-4368

https://www.ri.gov/DMV/vrr/help.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back