I was accused of employee theft

Babycakes221

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I was caught stealing only $20. And now Im under investigation. They are trying to give me a felony this is my first offensive crime. I didn't sign or agree to anything but the police did find the money on me what do I do. I don't wanna lose my CNA License..

Last edited by a moderator:
I am Retail theft Consultant and answer question slike yours daily. You first action is a non action! Say NOTHING to no one other than your Lawyer about this. You say they found money on you how do they know its not yours?

It's a shame you didn't think about your license before you stole. Why do you think that since it was "only" $20 no one can or should investigate? If you stole once, maybe you stole other times and that's a valid reason to investigate. Are you saying that as long as it's under some pre-determined amount, over $20 at least, that you should be given free reign?

Did you steal from a patient? If so, see number 11 here https://www.mmis.georgia.gov/portal...1ZW50bHklMjBBc2tlZCUyMFF1ZXN0aW9ucy1DTkEucGRm

Your state doesn't have a formal certification as some other states do, but there is still a registry and there can be consequences for you. Even if you did not steal from a patient, your employer may legally fire you and may share that information with any other future employers who call to verify employment/check references. That much is true whether you seek to remain in the same field or not. That is a very expensive $20 you stole.

More details are needed to understand why it's a felony charge... What is the exact offense? Do you know the penal code section?
Often times a first offense can be reduced to something less, but even so it could be harmful toward your license.
You will be best off to have your own legal counsel who can put some time and effort into minimizing the damage and protecting your future.

If it was a patient and the OP abused her position to commit the theft, it would/could fall under the felony umbrella, regardless of the amount of money involved.

Back