I want to be released from a Jury

S

S Neto

Jurisdiction
Maryland
I have been forced to be a juror on a lead poisoning case in Baltimore. I am furious that I have to do this. I don't care a bit about this case or it's outcome. I have had to endure 2 days of testimony on a case that I do not want to have anything to do with. I would like to tell the judge that from now on, I will not listen, at all, to any more testimony. And when time to deliberate comes, I will not partake or give any verdict. I want to be dismissed from the trial. Do I have any rights here? Will I be found "in contempt? and possibly jailed or fined? Is there a good way to get myself out of this pointless trial???

Do I have any rights here?

No. Only a DUTY.

Will I be found "in contempt?

Yes.

and possibly jailed or fined?

Fined more likely. But jail is possible depending on how much you piss off the judge.

Is there a good way to get myself out of this pointless trial???

There is no "good" way, just bad ways (which you have already suggested).

What stage of Voir Dire are you in?

Has the final selection of jurors been made?

I checked the regs for your state. If you do what you are proposing, you can be fined up to $1000, jailed for up to 90 days, or both.

No. Only a DUTY.

Yes.

Fined more likely. But jail is possible depending on how much you piss off the judge.

There is no "good" way, just bad ways (which you have already suggested).

What stage of Voir Dire are you in?

Has the final selection of jurors been made?
Unfortunately, I was already picked and forced to be on this trail. Voir Dire stage has already taken place.

Unfortunately, I was already picked and forced to be on this trail. Voir Dire stage has already taken place.

As a retired defense lawyer, prosecutor, and judge; I've seen a few people get relieved from jury duty.
I've had occasion to fine a couple, nominal amounts, no more than $25 each time.
I've sent a couple lawyers to sit in a jail cell for about an hour, and an apology followed, all ended well.

The jurors were discontent with the process, and the system.

I agree with you, no one should be forced to endure jury duty, in my view showing up should be enough.

At any rate, the easiest way to get off without repercussions is to become ill.

If you suffer from any maladies, well, you know.
The best actor I ever observed feigned food poisoning, and had to pray to the porcelain king every 15-20 minutes.
I released him after the third eruption.
One of the other jurors told me he said he was going to get off the damn trial, and he had just taken a laxative.
Ingenuity knows no bounds when one is desperate. LOL

Well, you probably had several occasions to exhibit enough bias (in a subtle way) to get disqualified.

Now all you can do is (on the morning of the trial) drive your car off the road, hit a tree, make sure you bleed from somewhere, and call the police and paramedics to the scene.

Back