I shoplifted at khols

Jurisdiction
California
Hello i need some help on what to do. Im in the california state and i like in elk grove but yesterday i was caught shoplifting about $30 or less at khols the lp stopped me outside and asked why i was stopped and to come with him. We go to the back room they ask for the merchandise and so i give it to him. They had me fill and sign some papers saying that im banned from the store and some paper saying this was going to be kept with khols and not go anywhere else. They didnt call the cops. But they did tell me i was going to get a "fine" in the mail in about 4-6 weeks. Ive been reading some situations with other people and many "lawyers" said to not pay it and nothing will happen.. I dont know if the site is credible.. Im just worried because im 18 and i dont have the kind of money to ask an attorney, to pay the fine, or not pay the fine and go to court.. I heard its a civil demand and they most likely wont sue.. Im just really prananoid and depressed and stressed. I dont want my mom findng out and be disappointed in me, i just would like some very truthful adivce.. Trust me i very well learned my lesson and i am never doing this again!

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. No one can say what will or wont happen if you do not pay but if they do take action it can have long term consequences. I advise all I speak to to pay to avoid this. below ar two links that should help you in deciding what to do.

But have you seen any stores, in this case khols sue someone for not paying the civil demand letter for shoplifting mechandise lower than $50? I dont have the kind of money to pay it and ive heard that you dont have to pay it if you dont want to but i was wondering what will/might happen if i end up not paying it.. i just really am worried but if i absoulutly have to pay it then ill figure something out..

See the link I provided yes it happens. Ask for a payment plan and Dont miss a payment. by the way suing you is only one option there are several again look at the links I provided. I answer these questions daily as stated its my line of work. No one can say for sure if they will sue or take any other option. Its a risk you have to decide if its worth it or not. I would think not

Back