Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks I need some advice about some checks that I bounced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kagome

In the year 1998, I lost everthing and was forced to live a life of penury and for the first three months or so, writing a bad check to buy food was the only way for me to avoid starvation. In three months, I wrote 26 bad checks to various grocery stores and such. The amount per check was approximately $20 in every case. I payed off seven of them already so I still have 19 more remaining. I am guessing that by now, with interest and all, the payment per check is close to $400. I have a well paying job now and I would like to pay off the remaining 19 checks but I lost track of who I wrote them to. How would I go about finding out who or which collection agencies are handling my acounts? I have not heard from them in a while so I am worried that, perhaps some of them are thinking about or is in a process of criminally prosecuting me. To the best of my knowledge, no arrest warrants have been issued . I am assuming this only because the authorities have not yet visited me. I want to avoid criminal prosecutions at all costs. What are your recommendations?

You might try to obtain your own credit report, usually creditors are listed on that.

Thank you, NYClex. Yes I'll have to get a hold of my credit report. In the mean time, what are the chances of me getting arrested and prosecuted for what I did? Do people really serve time in prison for boucing checks? Although I wrote many bad checks, all of them were well under $30. I never wrote anything big - just enough amount to put food in my stomach. Is what I did considered a felony? I can sure use every advice I can get. Again, thank you so much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back