Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse I need my property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnorman07

Very recently there was an incident in which my friend was arrested while driving my car and was in possession of a said 22.2 grams of marajuana. Myself not being aware of this possession was contacted by him at the scene of arrest to come pick up the vehicle. I told police at the scene that I didn't know what was going on and I needed to pick up my car. They were very rude to me as if I had committed a criminal act and didn't want to give me any information. I gave one officer my contact info and asked him what I need to do to get my car. He said there was nothing he could do for me since I couldn't help him with any information and asked to leave the scene with no information about my property. The next day one of the arresting officers calls me to say he needs to meet with me immediately (11:00 p.m.) and to meet him at a specific location (I'm also so obviously nine months pregnant). Upon meeting with the officer he issues me a notice of seizure for my vehicle and no explaination of how to get it back. The notice is also signed with. . . X unable to sign, in the the seizing officers handwriting when I was definitely on the scene and asked to leave out of the frustration of the arresting officers. Point blank . . . I have no criminal history, was not involved in any way, and need my property returned to me. How do I retain my property? .....Police also have listed on notice that the defendants addy. and phone # are the same as my own. I don't know if this has any bearings but the info is not correct.

The procedure to retrieve an impounded vehicle may vary by state. If it has been seized as evidence, you will likely have to wait until it is no longer needed for trial. If it has been seized through asset seizure, then you need to contact an attorney to find out what needs to be done to counter the claim. And if it has been seized solely because the driver was arrested, you should be able to call the agency and get it released to you on the next work day.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back