i need help ASAP please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

candesgirl

here's the scoop. my mother and i are in this whole lawsuit thing. i left her house when i turned 18 years old, and because of all he abuse i underwent growing up in her house, i filed (and the judge saw fit to grant) a restraining order. she got mad and is now suing me for close to $3000 which she claims is for all my prom stuff, and rent money that i owed her whilst living there.i had been forced (along with my brother and sister) to pay rent since we started working (my bro and i at 15 and my sis at 17). so i have several questions.
1. can she first of all legally charge me rent if she, herself is renting the property-not the owner and if so/not please tell me where i can find documentation that would hold up in court.
2. can she legally be charging any of us rent when she is also (and has been) claiming us on her taxes as dependants? if so/not please tell me where i can find documentation that will hold up in court.
3. she is currently inpossession of everything that she is suing me for-material wise-so how can i prove to the court that i am not in posession of any of these things.

i am really desperate! i have court comming up on the 22nd and i just had a baby and cannot afford to be paying my mother anymore money for bogus charges. is there anyone i might be able to talk to-free of charge-one on one to get more in depth into the situation? i could use all the help i can get and would greatly appreciate any and all help!

thank you for taking the time to read my post

candes.girl

Without knowing where you live (which state), it would be impossible to provide links to statutes that will help you.

I very much doubt that she can sue you for anything she paid towards your care before you turned 18. I believe that in most states, it is her legal responsibility to provide for your care. The prom stuff doesn't necessarily fall into that category, but I think it would be viewed as a gift.

I'm not a lawyer, so if I'm wrong someone will come along and correct me. However, I don't think you have much to worry about.

Has she actually filed suit? It seems like a complete waste of court time for such a suit. Perhaps if suit has yet to be filed that Mom is blowing smoke up your rear. Regardless tell her to proceed if she wishes she is very likely to come up with nothing!

this seems very helpful. yes she has already filed the suit and has been sitting on it for two years without my knowledge. i live in new hampshire, and apparently there was a court date set two years ago that i did not attend, so they ruled in her favor...but i had no idea about any of this until recently when she sent me something from the court saying i had a court date etc etc. so no one has any sites that might link me to the specific law and whatnot that i might use??

well-SHE said there was a judgement against me, but i got a paper in the mail telling me i had to appear in court on the 22nd to defend myself and explain why i shouldnt have to pay it-so i think she was just trying to ge tme to pay it without me knowing the court hadnt yet decided...
but i REALLY need to know what these laws are and where i can find them please!
thanks again

well-SHE said there was a judgement against me, but i got a paper in the mail telling me i had to appear in court on the 22nd to defend myself and explain why i shouldnt have to pay it-so i think she was just trying to ge tme to pay it without me knowing the court hadnt yet decided...
but i REALLY need to know what these laws are and where i can find them please!
thanks again

The best place to find the law is ask the lawyer you hire.

A judgment has been entered against you and you have been summoned for a contempt of court hearing to find out why you haven't paid.

Serious stuff.

Get a lawyer.

but i didnt even know about any judgement or court hearing or anything! and there's no way i can ever afford a lawyer! wut am i supposed to do? this isnt really helping at all... :(

There should be a docket or case number on your paperwork. Call the court and they should be able to tell you if it is legit.

If you have a court date you must show up, otherwise you lose in default.

I highly doubt your mom has much of a claim. She just cannot sue you for rent, prom, etc unless shehas proof that she had a lease with you. Most parents pay for prom for an 18 yr old, again, she has to prove it was a loan.

well she has false documents she signed my name to ( or she claims she has these documents) that say i borrowed a loan off of her, and that i had a lease. but i absolutely did not. she is very good at this sort of thing (getting around and knowing the law inside and out) because she is in and out of court a lot and she has forged PLENTY of docs. before. she has 6 lawsuits going at the present time, is currently unnemployed, and is living off of the VA, my sister, and my fathers child support from my sister. my brother has completely dissowned her because when he was ready to move out-she tried to do the same to him. she has kept all of our belongings and now, doesnt want to work so is doing everything she can to live off of other people including suing her own children! i cannot afford a lawyer, i don't know where to go for free legal advice, i have nothing to bring to court on my behalf because i havent talked to anyone...i just need someone to point me in the right direction for any kind of help...i am desperate! anyone? please if u have ANY ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back