i missed my show cause hearing for defensive driving

axsjune2004

Jurisdiction
Texas
hello wanted to get legal advice. i received a ticket in the city of houston texas for failure to signal lane

change in may of this year. i pleaded out for defensive driving that was supposed to be completed on

september 27 of this year and was not and still has not been completed as of todays date of

12/13/2016 due to personal circumstances and financial hardship i was facing temporaily . i had a

show cause hearing on october which i was not notified of therefore i did not attend. the muncipal

courts of houston has not put this on my record yet. my is if i elect to do my defensive driving course

quickly and go to see a judge for a walk in appointment what would be acceptable reasons for not

completing defensive driving and not showing up to the show cause hearing. how can i get them to

keep it off my record? and if it does go on my record what are the consequences ( i currently have 3

surchages i paying for in the state of texas so this would be my fourth moving violation)

what would be acceptable reasons for not

completing defensive driving and not showing up to the show cause hearing. how can i get them to

keep it off my record? a

If you had an acceptable reason, you would know it/them.
Some good reasons are family illness, death of a close family member, your own death (of course if that occurred, none of this would matter, would it?), hospitalization, in patient drug rehab, military service, job related trip out of the USA, being in jail, being in prison, being in a mental health hospital, etc...

However, none of those excuses would have precluded you from contacting the court by telephone, email, carrier pigeon, snail mail, or overnight courier, would it?

You might be able to fix this by asking for a deferred adjudication, but most courts will require an explanation for failing to do as previously agreed.

Ability to pay is nonsense, because you could have contacted the court and made a payment arrangement. Courts are always willing to work out a payment plan, but you must keep your word.

All you can do is try and see what the court will allow you to do.

Back