i Let someone else drive my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

peggyf

In 2000 I let someone else drive my car ( i was the passenger) They ended up getting in an accident hitting a state guard rail.My insurance co said they necer recieved my check and it never went through the bank so I didnt have insurance at the time. Now 6 years later the state is suing me for the guardrail and I am wondering what my options are. Shoudnt she be the one legally respinsible for the guardrail as she was the driver? Should I pay and then take her to small claims court? Is their a statue of limitations for small claims? Any informtaion or help would be greatly appreciated as I have a court date at the end of the month.

The SOL I believe has expired, so I am surprised they are suing you. You still need to show up in court and perhaps it will be dismissed. She should be held responsible since she was driving, have you asked her to pay up if you get sued? Its been 5-6 years though so I am not sure if the SOL starts over if you are indeed ordered to pay up. Maybe somebody else here can give you advice?

I believe the SOL for small claims is 6 years. They filed 3 days shy of 3 years from the date of the accident. So I wont be able to sue her. I am going to make some calls to different lawyers today and get their thought and take it to court with me on Monday. I figure any little bit of information will help me.

It just doesnt seem right. What if she would have killed someone? (worst case scenerio) would I be charged with vehicular manslaughter or something, cause it was my vehicle? THat really scares me. No more letting any one drive my car.

Update

Just wanted to update my situation. I went to the conference set, and the state's attorney wasnt prepared so they were going to reschedule. i still had to present my side of the incident. But then I recieved a letter in the mail that the dismissed the charges. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back