I have ownership of motorcycle but ex-boyfriend will not return it

malia

Jurisdiction
California
I recently bought a new 2022 motorcycle and ex-boyfriends has been in possession of it. I've been trying to retrieve it from him but he will not return it. Can i report it stolen? or because of the fact that i loaned h to him, will that be an issue?

I recently bought a new 2022 motorcycle and ex-boyfriends has been in possession of it. I've been trying to retrieve it from him but he will not return it. Can i report it stolen? or because of the fact that i loaned h to him, will that be an issue?
It's not likely to be considered anything more than a civil matter if you report this to the police. It can't hurt to try.

Can i report it stolen?

Chances are good that you have this ability, but I doubt that's what you meant to ask.

If you want to know what the police department in the City of Unknownville, CA will do if you report the bike as stolen, my guess is that they will ask you questions, the net effect of which is this: did your ex acquire possession of the bike because you allowed him to have possession? Since the answer to that question is apparently yes, they might tell you that they will not get involved and that it is a civil matter. Of course, neither I nor anyone else here truly knows what the fine folks at the Unknownville PD will do, so your best bet is to pay them a visit and make an inquiry.

The police aren't going to do squat.

Go to the nearest biker bar and hire a big biker, or two, with a bike trailer and go get it.

I hope you had sense enough to keep a key.

Back