I have no idea what is going on!

G

gem92

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I am a tenant in North Carolina and have just received a Complaint in Summary Ejectment. First of all, the information in the paperwork is incorrect. It states I have an oral lease but I actually have a written lease, and it says I owe twice what I actually owe in rent. Also, I have been keeping in contact with the leasing company regarding payments and have been making said payments and have never been warned of eviction. I actually just spoke to someone in the office that I would be able to pay off my balance in full in addition to rent on the 1st. This was one day prior to the listed filing of the claim. She did not warn me these steps would be taken and assured me that it would be okay to pay the balance in full this coming 1st.
Please help!

I am a tenant in North Carolina and have just received a Complaint in Summary Ejectment. First of all, the information in the paperwork is incorrect. It states I have an oral lease but I actually have a written lease, and it says I owe twice what I actually owe in rent. Also, I have been keeping in contact with the leasing company regarding payments and have been making said payments and have never been warned of eviction. I actually just spoke to someone in the office that I would be able to pay off my balance in full in addition to rent on the 1st. This was one day prior to the listed filing of the claim. She did not warn me these steps would be taken and assured me that it would be okay to pay the balance in full this coming 1st.
Please help!

Read your lease.
What does your lease say bout being in arrears?
Does your lease discuss being in default?
Does the lease discuss the landlord's legal remedies?

Well, many of your answers I've provided below. Please read my instructions carefully.

In North Carolina if you receive an eviction notice for nonpayment of rent you have 10 days to cure your alleged breach. The notice should advise you that your tenancy will be maintained if the entire rent owed is paid within 10 days or a legal action will be initiated to evict you from your tenancy.

Your lease might provide for automatic forfeiture of the premises upon nonpayment of rent after a certain period of time, therefore, you must read your lease. You must FULLY understand the terms of your lease.

You, the tenant, MUST tender the rent in full (by cashier's check or money order) to the landlord (or her/his representative) BEFORE (or NO LATER than COB) on the date identified in the lease in order to maintain your tenancy.

Back