I don't owe a debt, collection agencies don't care still demanding money

Status
Not open for further replies.

rain380

So about a year and a half ago I messed up and let my phone bill get out hand and then it was cut off by the phone company. I moved shortly after this and contacted the company via email informing them of my change of address and asking them for a finale bill. I knew i owed in the neighborhood of $150.00 for phone and internet service at that time but was unsure as to wether there were any late fees ect at this point i needed to pay so i wanted them to just send me a finale bill so i could pay iot all at once. They never wrote back. This was in may06.
In Nov. 06 I received a bill from a collection agency for this phone bill, but 438.00! I called multiple times and spoke with several very untrained reps at the phone company trying to figure out what the bill was for and finally was told i had been billed through oct06 . I said well I didn't have service from the middle of may so u need to adjust this bill and i will pay it. I was told that even though they had "interrupted " my service I had never called to offically disconnect it . Now who the heck calls after their service is disconnected by a company and says :i'd like to officially disconnect the service your company has already cut off ?" Because of my not making this rediculous phone call they told me they had the right to bill me for several more months. I asked them how many months their policy stated they could bill specifially, the lady told me she had no idea, i asked for a copy of this policy because i had never read and was told no. Oh and I have never at any time been under contract with this company.

The collection agencys have been rediculous and have flat out told me they care not about legalities, that it doesn't matter to them wether or not this debt is real that i had better pay. The woman actually yelled at me that I had better pay now, that she refused to talk to me about anything but how I would be paying the bill in full, right this moment. I asked her not to yell at me and she yelled that i must be crazy because she wasn't yelling I was and hung up on me. They have called my parents house multiple times because i will not give them my cell phone # ( wich is my only #) even though my parents have repetedly told them I have not lived there in 8 years.

I would gladly pay what i owe, but i am not paying for 5 1/2 mths of a service I did not receive. I live in florida, anybody know what to do?

Do you have any evidence of the cut-off of your phone service?

The phone company openly admits that they "interrupted " my serivce ( they turned everything off) however the collection agencys just keep telling me they don't care, they said if the companys says i owe them i owe them. regardless of wether the company openly admits it's charging me for services not recieved .

The phone company openly admits that they "interrupted " my serivce ( they turned everything off) however the collection agencys just keep telling me they don't care, they said if the companys says i owe them i owe them. regardless of wether the company openly admits it's charging me for services not recieved .

Tell them that it is not a valid debt. From my understanding, by law they should not be able contact you again to make further demands. You can read all about this in the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

§ 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]

(a) Within five days after the initial communication with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt, a debt collector shall, unless the following information is contained in the initial communication or the consumer has paid the debt, send the consumer a written notice containing --

(1) the amount of the debt;

(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;

(3) a statement that unless the consumer, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, disputes the validity of the debt, or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector;

(4) a statement that if the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment against the consumer and a copy of such verification or judgment will be mailed to the consumer by the debt collector; and

(5) a statement that, upon the consumer's written request within the thirty-day period, the debt collector will provide the consumer with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.

(b) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back