I Do Not File Federal Income Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosign4son

I do not file federal income tax. I receive several 1099's every year. But my taxable income is small, under $2500 (dividend, interest, etc.) last year, under $5000 for 2007. I also am receiving Social Security benefits and Disability Compensation from the Veterans Admin. (both non-taxable).

I picked up the tax forms to try and do it. But just could not understand how to fill them in. I do not live in USA, so going to the local tax preparer is not an option. I realize that ignorance of how to fill in the forms is not a valid excuse. I also realize I could send them to a tax prepare in the USA. But I want to do it myself. If it was understandable enough to do I would do them myself. So as a protest of the stupid system where there is a multi-billion dollar industry in America to help people fill out their forms because it is so complicated. I REFUSE TO FILE.

What penalties can I incur from not filing considering my low taxable income??

Make sure its not a wilful failure!!

Wilful failure to file tax returns is very risky with all sorts of penalties that could be attached.

Accidental failure to file is a different story: in addition to tax owed, you'll have to pay penalties defined as a percentage of the amount you owe. As its unlikely that you owe anything, you are unlikely to have a penalty.

So don't post anything along the lines of saying that you are refusing to file out of principle, and certainly dont send any letter to the irs in that regard!

Learn from the Attorney General and simply forget. :nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back