I Bought A Used Car From A Private Seller

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsr2002

I just purchased a car from a private seller. He said he was selling the car for his daughter. I paid the man $2500. I did not get a bill of sale but he signed the Title transfer form 130-U. I gave the car title to the clerk and she said the back part of the title was filled out incorrectly and was dated 2 years ago and said I would have to pay those taxes in order to change over the title.(around $600).

The only phone number I have is the Father's cell and I seem to be getting the run around on getting this issue corrected. He's either out of town or the Daughter can't be reached and so on. I did a carfax.com and the car has not been reported stolen.

If I can't get hold of these people is there any other way I can get this title transferred over to me? Or am I out $2500?!?

Ben (TX)

You can try to sue them.

You'd still have to find them.

You're out the $2500, only if you don't pay the state their $600.

Pay the $600 in back taxes, and you can use it as a tax write off.

Or, you try to find these cheaters, sue them for the $600 in taxes that you had to pay to register the car.

But, after you register the car, you can try selling it.

You have a few things to think about.

All isn't lost, yet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont get it.

Usually you have to pay taxes on any car you buy.

If bought from a dealer,he can collect the states tax,then when you register your car,its taken care of already.

Where are they getting 600$ from?
It should be around 100-175 max for a registration.

Then about 250ish for your tax depending on state.

A new thing theyve been doing is.
If you dont have a bill of sale,they will charge you book value tax.

ex;2006 honda accord good cond,kelly blue book private party value $12,000.00 and they will charge you this tax.

Dont cross anything out on the title,dont white out,erase or change anything or the title will be VOID!!
Then youll really be screwed!

I dont get it.

Usually you have to pay taxes on any car you buy.

If bought from a dealer,he can collect the states tax,then when you register your car,its taken care of already.

Where are they getting 600$ from?
It should be around 100-175 max for a registration.

Then about 250ish for your tax depending on state.

A new thing theyve been doing is.
If you dont have a bill of sale,they will charge you book value tax.

ex;2006 honda accord good cond,kelly blue book private party value $12,000.00 and they will charge you this tax.

Dont cross anything out on the title,dont white out,erase or change anything or the title will be VOID!!
Then youll really be screwed!

First of all! Thank you Styles and Army Judge for your quick replies.

@ Styles, when I took the original title to the Courthouse the clerk said that the owner had signed and dated the back part of the title with the year 2008, thus making it look like I purchased the car 2 years ago. That's what she told me anyway. :confused:

@ Army Judge, I had the money for the car only. I guess I can see if the County Courthouse will work with me so I could maybe pay the $600 in payments? :eek:

Man, what a headache this turned out to be...needless to say I'll never be as trusting like this again, and that's a shame. :(

Again thanks for your quick replies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back