I am so lost. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

juhxleexshuh

Well, I was fired from my job for forgetting to pay for a few snack and helping some customers out which apparently is a violation of company policy. Anyway, I just received a letter in the mail saying that I owe the company $325; $25 for what I forgot to pay for and $300 as a civil penalty. I don't feel that this is fair. It an awful lot of money for something so small. I don't know what to do. My dad and my friends say I should counter-sue but I'm not even sure I'm being sued. Any suggestions?

Well, I was fired from my job for forgetting to pay for a few snack and helping some customers out which apparently is a violation of company policy. Anyway, I just received a letter in the mail saying that I owe the company $325; $25 for what I forgot to pay for and $300 as a civil penalty. I don't feel that this is fair. It an awful lot of money for something so small. I don't know what to do. My dad and my friends say I should counter-sue but I'm not even sure I'm being sued. Any suggestions?

That is a theft deterrent demand letter. You're not being sued, you're being asked to pay them a fee, which might help them decide not to try to press criminal charges against you.

Yeah, it's what you're thinking, but it's legal. Read it carefully, as it explains why they can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back