Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft I am a retail store that caught a shoplifter, need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unsteady

About three months ago I caught 3 kids stealing and they ran off. Fortunately one of the kids didn't see me coming and I was able to grab his hat to lure him back to the store. When he came back, I told him that his friend needed to return the stolen items. His friend came back but ditched the items, I went through the 6 steps of catching thieves. They didn't tell me where they ditched the items but I got one of the kids IDs and the other kids picture taken. I told them that I would be contacting their parents. How do I prosecute/press charges/ resolve this matter?

here is my suggestion... in my store I prosecute 99% of all stops... if I were to have somebody flee, I file a police report (unless its for something silly like candy or soda) If say a few months later the individual comes back there is a police report to back up the fact that there was a theft. I would think trying to prosecute someone a while after the actual theft would be a headache.

Where I agree with Jason I think its important to see answer to Admin's question. If this person is not a trained Asset Protection Officer they might have followed the "steps" for this circumstance. In fact its possible they might have "thought" they saw a theft! The Steps we learn in retail security are there to protect our employers from Civil actions. Arresting the alledged lifter could prove to be very problematic

Also, I did see him walk out of the store, with 2 items, dropped one item and kept running with the other.

Yes. There were 3 kids, I was able to grab one and the other ran off, eventually coming back. I could not leave my store and chase him because I was the only one working at the time.

I'm curious as to why you've waited 3 months.
did all 3 kids steal something, if so do you know every item that was taken by each individual?
is any of this on video?

Yes. He approached the merchandise, selected merchandise, picked it up and walked to the door, I not for a second looked away, he did not attempt to pay, he walked out the door. All the while, his friend kept trying to distract me by bringing items and asking if I had more in the back. Concurrently, the 2nd kid tried to follow the first kid out the door and grabbed a pair of jeans as he walked, the minute his foot hit the mat, I was right behind him, he dropped the jeans, the 1st kid still had the shirt. They both ran. Their accomplice was next to me. I couldn't run out the door. I grabbed his (accomplice) hat. I said if he'd like his hat back, he'd call his friends back. One returned, the one who got the shirt. He had no ID. I got his friends ID and I got the kids picture.

Why I waited three months; it's not that I was "waiting". I had let it go until I had come across this site. I read about the statute of limitations an it rekindled the incident for me.

There has been theft in my store before, but I, just like many other stores around me, have taken care of it in more effective ways. I would jsut like to take care of this in more legal ways now.

Long as you have maintained any evidence you might have you can still file charges and if the subjects reenter store detain them. Just be 100% certain its them and you have enough for a successful prosecution. You should also reread your stores policy on shoplifting

Thank you. I have written my own report on the incident and have the ID of the 1st kid and the picture of the other kid, so yes I have the evidence still. As far as my stores policy on shoplifting, I wasn't aware the I needed one. I considered the law to be the common policy on shoplifting.

I had an similar incident 3 months ago. Two kids came into the store and one stole an MP3 player while the other one was the lookout. When they walked out, the kid that had the merchandise took off running but I was able to get the other kid. While I had the kid I called the police and they came in and question him about the other kid's name, where he lived etc. He admitted to the police that they came in the store to steal and I had it on video where he was stand there watching the other kid steal the MP3 Player. By admitting they came to the store to steal and that I had it on videotape him watching the other kid steal the MP3 Player, the kid was charge with being an accessory to a crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back