I accidentally changed my name while becoming a citizen

Juan Ramirez

Jurisdiction
California
I'm not really sure whether this is an immigration issue but I saw nowhere else to put it.

So I know this sounds silly but this actually happened to me (and I bet it's not too uncommon). I accidentally changed my name.

I recently became a citizen and by electing not to change my name, I ended up changing my name. You see, the name I was born with is not the name I have used since I've lived in the US. In short, in Mexico you inherit a last name from both parents and here I've only ever used the last name of my father. My entire existence (except for my immigration documentation) has only one last name but when I became a citizen I inadvertently left the second last name and now everything from my new SS card to my new Real ID will need to have a different name. For several reasons (including the fact that everyone else in my family has only the one name), I think I want to keep my current name.

Anyway, I wasn't sure whether to place my question in this forum or the immigration side but I figure the only thing I can do now is change my name to well, my name. Should cost me about $500 ro so. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something and whether that will basically make things right for me.

FYI, I became a citizen in August and didn't realize the issue until I went to update my SS record (which I didn't end up doing at that time).

Thank you.

OP's on 4 sites this morning. Might not want to waste any time on this as he's got answers elsewhere.
I didn't mean to offend but I didn't know which forums were active or not. I give back online when I can in areas where I'm strong and I appreciate when others do the same.

Either way, looks like my solution is relatively simple. Thanks for to all for their time.

No offense taken. It's simply that many of the same people respond on multiple forums so when they see the same question multiple times it's sometimes easier to have all the responses in one place so that they don't have to duplicate their answers.

Back