Consumer Law, Warranties How to terminate a home improvement contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

machi07

Can a client unilaterally cancel a home improvement contract in Queens, New York City, if the contractor does not respond to the client's request, by certified mail with return receipt, for a meeting to discuss outstanding items in the contract. A check with the New York Department of Consumer Affairs reveals that his company is still in business with a valid license.

If yes, what is the maximum waiting time before the client can notify the contractor, again by certified mail with return receipt, that the contract is now void.

I thank the forum for any advice it can provide.

machi07

Call the department of consumer affairs or city council to find out the answer or law relating to this. Home owners association of the area might be able to give you advice or answers…….I have no clue on your local law.

I already went to the NYC Dep. of Consumer Affairs at 42 Broadway in Manhattan.
They were of no help at all. Their perfunctory advice was to hire a lawyer !!!
At this early stage of his no-show (the construction work is about 90% completed), I refrain from filing a complaint or a lawsuit (which could be time-consuming and costly and would put all remaining work on hold), I just want to find out if I can legally fire this non-compliant contractor.
Since mid-November, he has not returned my many phone calls. He also ignored my first certified mail with return receipt to meet with me at his office or at my place to address the remaining work to be done and other serious construction defects which he had promised to correct but never got around to fix them.

Let's hope someone who is experienced in such steps up and helps.............I am not familiar with contract law and exact steps...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back