K Visa How to marry a US soldier

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandramarion

Well, hello there.
I met my boyfriend while he was stationed here in Germany, now he got sent back to the states. We want to get married, but I would like to know how that works and what the future would look like for me if I move to the states.
I have questions like
- will I be able to go to college as the wife of an US citizen?
- will I be able to work as the wife of an US citizen?
- who can help us with the forms and applies?
- does the fact that he's a soldier change the proceedure?

I'd really appreciate your help!

as the wife of an American citizen you will be allowed to go to college or to work. To live in the states you would need to obtain an immigration visa (commonly called green card). There are basically three different ways to obtain that, which I have explained here pretty often. The basic principle is that you can obtain a temporary visa to enter the U.S. and then apply there for the green card. You could also wait in Germany for the green card, which could take up to a year to get. If you chose to obtain a temporary visa you will receive that in about 3 months. Then you could apply for a work permit, which might take another 2 months to get. With the work permit you would be allowed to work.
It might take up to two years then to receive the green card, but you would be allowed to stay and work in the U.S. during the waiting period.

The fact that he is a soldier does not matter for these procedures, if he is living in the states.

Any immigration attorney can help you with the visa application and the forms, but you can also do that yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back