Criminal Records, Expungement How to expunge a Misd. in california

Status
Not open for further replies.

applebee

i would like to know how to do it yourself expungement in california.... i plead on an ADW 245pc Misdemeanor about 16 years ago. i would like to have it expunged. i have heard different things... i was told it is very difficult to do and you need an attorney and start up fee is $1500.. thats what an attorney told me.... but i have also heard that all you need to do is contact the probation dept and request it.... and if you have successfully completed probabion and havent been in trouble with the law since then... they must file the papers to have it expunged within 30 days. To tell you the truth... i dont buy eiter of those stories.... i dont think its that hard.... or that simple... any responses from those whom have expunged misdemeanors?? thanks

applebee said:
i would like to know how to do it yourself expungement in california.... i plead on an ADW 245pc Misdemeanor about 16 years ago. i would like to have it expunged. i have heard different things... i was told it is very difficult to do and you need an attorney and start up fee is $1500.. thats what an attorney told me.... but i have also heard that all you need to do is contact the probation dept and request it.... and if you have successfully completed probabion and havent been in trouble with the law since then... they must file the papers to have it expunged within 30 days. To tell you the truth... i dont buy eiter of those stories.... i dont think its that hard.... or that simple... any responses from those whom have expunged misdemeanors?? thanks
Some self-help forms available from the state of California are available here:

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/other/crimlawclean.htm

You do not need an attorney. Here is some information from that site that will help you determine eligibility. The site contains a wealth of information:

Are You Eligible for a Dismissal?

If you were given probation, you have either completed it or obtained early release. If you violated your probation and it was either reinstated or revoked, then the court has discretion whether or not to grant you a dismissal. If you were not given probation, it has been at least one year since the date of conviction. You have paid all fines, restitution and reimbursement ordered by the court as part of your sentence. You are not currently under arraignment for a new criminal offense (charges pending), nor are you on probation for another offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back