how long do hospitals maintain medical records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sincere

Yes I was inquiring on the length at which hospitals maintain medical records for patient usage. Whether it be for a personal or a businesses matter. I am trying to collect my medical records from my teenaged years and would like to know if it may still be possible.

New York Dept. of Health:
Q. Are doctors and hospitals required to keep medical records?
A. Yes, but not forever. Physicians and hospitals are required by state law to maintain patient records for at least six years from the date of the patient's last visit. A doctor must keep obstetrical records and records of children for at least six years or until the child reaches age 19, whichever is later. Hospitals must keep obstetrical records and records of children for at least six years or until the child is age 21, whichever is later. So, for example, if you had surgery at age 11 and want your records at age 18, the law requires that the physician and the hospital have them. But, if you are 35 and are trying to track down your childhood immunization records, the law does not require either a physician or a hospital to have them.

http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/1443/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back