1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

How long after a foreclosure can the lender file a deficiency notice on 2ND mortgage?

Discussion in 'Foreclosure, Repossession, Auctions, Short Sales' started by MGDC, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGDC

MGDC Law Topic Starter New Member

I took a second mortgage on my property in December 1997. Divorce necessitated foreclosure of the property during 2000 (this was not a deed in lieu). In April 2007 the note holder of the 2nd mortgage filed a motion to collect the debt. My last installment payment on this debt was in Jan 2000. In recent court proceedings the lender's attorney argued that the Florida statute limit of 5 years (on an action to foreclose a mortgage) does not "kick in" until the expiration date of the debt (which is Nov 2012). Is this correct?

I believe that a lender has 10 months to file a deficiency note after a foreclosure. Does this not apply to second mortgages?

:eek: